Sign in to follow this  
Guest dennis747

A330/340 taxi speed

Guest dennis747

Hi,I have done a few flights with the A330/340 (FS9) and everything works fine except when trying to taxi the aircraft.Even with a "heavy" A340, virtually no thrust is needed to get it moving on the ground and the speed easily exceeds 30 kts. when taxiing using idle thrust. Tried using the brakes to slow down but once I release the brakes the A340 starts accelerating. Taxiing down the runway from one end to the other and it can get up to 50 kts. just on idle thrust.With the A330 it's completely the opposite. A lot of thrust is required to get it moving and I have to keep the thrust at around EPR 1.10 - 1.12 to maintain a taxi speed of around 12 - 15 kts. Have tried different weight settings but still the same happens. I am using the latest FDE by Bob Scott and my joystick and throttle settings / sensitivities are set to default.Anyone else experience the same problem? Many thanks for any help.Dennis

Guest vrandar

I recommend you get hold of Rob Baredregt's pushback and taxi gauges from the avsim library. These allow you to pushback for a specified number of seconds then turn a specified number of degrees, then taxi at the speed you set. You set the parameters in each case. It's very good and works well with the PSS Airbus.

Guest dennis747

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Will give it a try.Dennis

Guest cvigo

I guees this is not a problem.I made 3 or 4 flights in the real A340/300, and I never notice a power increease (or an equivalent engine sound increase) to get the plane moving on the ground.I've read somewhere that A330 pilots use iddle reversed thurst to keep the plane in a reasonable taxi speed without overheating the wheel brakes !!!

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.