Sign in to follow this  
Guest wizard01

PSS Airbus A321 - Missed Approach

Guest wizard01

I'm nearing the end of my self inflicted A321 handling program!! Today was the pen ultimate Lesson; flying a Missed Approach! My last lesson, in the series, will be "Go Around, aircraft on the runway" (or similar). The two are very simular, except you may not know the GA is going to happen :).My Missed Approach went well, sort of, the Fs9 ATC was a big help with Vectors etc. I'm sure our VATSIM Controllers will be better; when I get that far. I made a fair landing, I'm not that used to landing the A321 manually!What I did: 1. On the call "MA" I informed ATC. 2. Hit the Num Pad '+' twice to bring up TOGA Thrust. 3. As airspeed increased, Flaps Full to Flaps 2 4. Undercarriage Retract 5. Flaps Clean/ Speedbrake to Ret at 200 kts. 6. Altimeter had been preset to 2500'agl. 7. Chart called for MA runway hdg. to 2500' - turn right at D4.0 CWA or 2500' - whichever is later. As it turned our ATC Vectored me to turn left at 2500'. The rest was a case of following ATC instructions to the runway.If there is a Real Life A320/1 Pilot tuned into to this thread I would very much appreciate it if he/she would tell me how I should have dealt with this situation.One thing that I did learn, make sure you have enough emergency fuel in your tanks before Departure - I landed on fumes :)Ken,Somerset, England

Guest vrandar

I'm not a rw A321 pilot but if your question is whether or not you should have gone with what your charts were saying irrespective of ATC instructions then the answer should be "No". ATC instructions must be adhered to.The PSS fuel planner allows sufficient scope through the contingency fuel parameter for ensuring you have enough fuel for the Missed Approach.

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,Looks like our Moderator has overslept again :)Thank you in advance for your reply.Ken

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,"I'm not a rw A321 pilot" - no, but near enough for me.I'll take both of those factors on board. What I was really trying to ask was, is the Sequence of Events that I went through (after MA was called) correct e.g. Inform ATC, TOGA Thrust, then the clearing of Flaps/Speedbrake etc. If they are correct I can continue to practice the MA until I reach a stage where 'panic' on the Flight Deck is reduced :).After going to TOGA Thrust I did feel I had too much nose up?You're helpful advice is always very much appreciated.Ken

Guest vrandar

Sequnce: here is one I prepared earlier....

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,Many thanks for that. Not a TV Chef in the RW are you? :)I have made myself a Flight Plan Out and In at EGPH, so I'll do a few practice flights using the Fs9 'built in ATC. I'll report back to let you know how I got on.To judge from the readership of this thread, it seems quite a few pilots are interested in this subject.Ken

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,That did the trick, by the third MA I was begining to feel everything was 'nearly' under control. I'll keep on with the training flights until it becomes routine.Thank you for all your help.Ken,Somerset, England

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,Just one last question on this topic. What is the minimum altitude for flying a Holding Pattern in an aircraft such as the PSS A321?Ken

Guest vrandar

The altitude for a holding pattern will be shown on the relevant STAR charts. Often on holds into EGLL, EGKK or EGBB for example it will be a minimum of FL070. Holds after a MAP are often at 3000 feet, but you really need to consult the charts for the airport you are flying into as they can vary.

Guest wizard01

Hi Rob,I hope my reply doesn't pop up twice; just now my first attempt was wiped off my desktop, back to the Avsim Home Page??Thank you for all your help on this topic; my MA flights are going alone just fine now. Time soon to move on to something else. Think I'll go back and try to improve my Chart reading.Bye for now,Ken

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.