Sign in to follow this  
Guest eko

Salas puzzle with touch of Pepper

Guest SD Sim

Hi All,I have a strange problem I can't seem to solve. I have three computers that are networked for WidevieW. I recently installed the Greg Pepper Beech G18-S, and the Iberia DC3 by Jorge Salas and company, onto all three computers. On both the server, and client 1 (see below), both aircraft run flawlessly. However on client 2, FS2K2 crashes to the desktop as soon as I attempt to launch with either of these aircraft. All the other aircraft (including third party) run just fine. I've tried everything I can think of, including a nuke and pave of the OS, and fresh installation of FS2K2. But the problem persists. Any ideas from the clever clan of FS enthusiasts out there?And yes, I have posted this once before. But it slid down the page so quickly I thought I would give it one more try. Here are all the vitals:MS FS2002 ProWidevieW 2002FSUIPC (v2.95)Three 19" (left, right & front) and one 17" (guages) monitorsCH Pro Pedals & Flight Sim yoke (USB)Server:Windows XP Pro SP1ASUS P4PE MainboardIntel P4 @ 2.8GHz512MB Crucial PC3000VisionTek GF4 Ti460041.09 Drivers3DMark2001 SE = 12,332Client 1:Windows XP Home SP1ASUS P4PE MainboardIntel P4 @ 2.4GHz512MB PC2700ASUS GF3 Ti20041.09 Drivers3DMark2001 SE = 8,033Client2:Windows XP Home SP1ASUS P4B-LX MainboardIntel P4 @ 1.5 GHz512MB PC133VisionTek GF3 Ti200 (64MB)41.09 Drivers3DMark2001 SE = 5,469

Guest SD Sim

Well this was a tough one, and it was only a foggy memory of days gone by that provided the solution. In the end it was a specific guage that caused the problem. I thought that someone had once posted a solution to this problem - but couldn't remember who, when, or where (pretty certain it was this forum though). Needless to say I didn' find the old thread in any of my searches.Since this post went unanswered, I'm going to assume that many out there, like me, had forgotten about this issue, or the fix. Mind you not everyone will have this problem - only a select "lucky" few of us will. So here is the fix:Open the Panel.cfg file (found in your Panel folder) and look for the following entry:guagexx=CPT.RKG_Fuelstat!FuelStatusSq_recip_wideguagexx I believe depends on the aircraft, which for the B18 is gauge23. In front of this place "//" to disable the guage. Your entry should now look like this://guagexx=CPT.RKG_Fuelstat!FuelStatusSq_recip_wideThis will solve the desktop crash with either the B18 or the DC3. I seem to remember that you can also replace the guage in question with a different guage from the Bravo, but I no longer remember which one it is. Perhaps someone else out there will recall and can post in this thread?

Guest eko

On my DC-3, try this fix first:Open the panel.cfg file with Notepad.Find this line:gauge43=cpt.dfd_collinsradios!audio, 150,257,90,19Replace it with this line:gauge43=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio, 150,257,90,19That is the only gauge which I know of that is buggy.The Fuel Stat SHOULD be OK, as it is the updated for FS2002 version... however, if replacing the collins radio above still doesn't take away the crashes, then go ahead and comment out the fuel stat as well.

Guest Grey_Wolf

Its the mooney_bravo!Fuel Flow gauge to replace itIn the Pepper designed G18 change gauge18=CPT.RKG_Fuelstat!FuelStatusSq_recip_wide, 102,655,180,57to gauge18=mooney_bravo!Fuel Flow, 102,655,180,57I dont have the DC3 mentioned, but same sort of procedure.Having FunGrey_Wolf

Guest SD Sim

Thanks Jorge,I tried your tip, but the DC3 resumed its crash back to the desktop. The only fix I've found so far is the one posted above. I also discovered that while the plane would load on the other two computers, the pull down menu was very slow to show up on the tab key. And the worst insult was a complete crash in flight when switching to external view. All of these problems were immediately solved by disabling the fuel stat guage on the server mentioned above. So that's where things stand now. But don't get the wrong impression - I really like this plane. That's why I went through the effort to get it running.As for the Pepper B18, the same slow menu exists on the server, together with intermitent crashes. Disabling the fuel stat guage did not resolve the problem on this aircraft. If I had to guess, I would say that these problems might be attributable to SP1 for XP. I don't remember having these problems the last time I flew these planes, which was pre-SP1. However, I'm also using newer drivers (41.09), and I'm still not completely satisfied with these drivers as they have some display idiosyncracies which have existed since the 40.72 (which I needed because SP1 installation prevented me from accessing the menu with the tab key).Sorry for the long semi-rant. I do feel better now ;)

Guest eko

Yup, this is an unfortunate side effect of these gauges. Since I still run Windows98, I never run into these problems.However, since those panels were made, I am all the wiser, and all my subsequent releases have included "alternate" panel config files for XP users who may encounter problems. My Boeing 747 Advanced panel is a case in point. Couple of extra panel.cfg files included so that it works for everybody. Have yet to receive a support request e-mail regarding these issues with that panel. :-)