Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoM

Just one more question about the SID/STARs

Guest PoM

Ok I am going to takeoff...programming the FMc...and runway....I go to pick the right SID...how do I no which one I should pick....(I use FS2002...would it tell me in FS2004...) also vice versa...about the STAR...Thank you

Guest stang

Howdy Chad. I don't know what your level of knowledge is so I will go basic just to make sure.The choice of which SID or STAR (procedure) to use depends upon your route but first you need to know there are three parts of a procedure, a runway transition, a common part and an enroute transition. Procedures, however, do not have to have all three parts. It just depends on how the procedure was designed. You can think of a procedure like a tree. The roots are the runway transitions that lead into (SID) or from (STAR) the trunk, the common part and the branches are the enroute transitions that lead into or from the route you fly. So, with the SID you pick one whose runway transition matches the runway you will use and whose enroute transition goes closest to the direction you want to go. Note: If the SID has a runway transition listed that SID can only be used for the runway(s) listed. If there is no runway transition listed then that SID can be used for any runway.For the STAR you pick one that has an enroute transition that starts closest to your intended route. Note: Some STARs also have runway transitions so just as with SIDs that STAR can only be used for the listed runway(s). If there is no runway transition listed then that STAR can be used for any runway. Now to actually be able to do this picking you will need to get all the procedures for your departure and arrival airports. Once you have them you simply have to look through all of them and pick the appropriate ones as outlined above. There are several sources for getting procedures but a good free source is VATSIM. You can visit VATSIM and navigate through its system to find the centers that include your departure and arrival airports. The centers usually have all the procedures for the airports within its jurisdiction for downloading. You can start this search at vatsim.net.Hope this helps and wasn't too basic.Terry

Guest PoM

Are these realistic (the Sid/Star)....

Guest PoM

Do these SID/STARs work with the CRJ yet??? The CRJ from Wilco

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.