Sign in to follow this  

Quick sound question...

Guest w2sjw

I need to know what the proper format of the .wav files used in FS2002 is (type of .wav, bit-size, quality, etc) if anyone knows this off hand. There are a few small sounds I'm working on, but my source files are mp3's. I want to make sure I convert them into the correct format.Thanks!Scott

Guest WorkingStiff

I don't think it really matters; you just have to make a decision on how much disk space you're willing to use. For example, I've recorded hundreds of megabytes of live ATC chatter in Windows PCM format at 22.050kHz, 16 bit Stereo using Total Recorder Pro. I then used Cool Edit Pro to clean up much of the pops, hisses, and scratches but still retained the ATC-type broadcast quality and then downsampled the recordings to 16.000 kHz, 16 bit, Mono with no appreciable loss of sound quality.So in my opinion its not necessary to record in stereo; I'd use Windows PCM format at 16.000 kHz, 16 bit, Mono or less if you're pressed for disk space.

the 'ATCVoicePack's' used in FS2002 are compressed 'gvp' files. Decompiling either of the 'gvp's' USEnglishBig(with 10 voices) or 'USEnglishSmall' (3 voices) we find 11.025 16bit mono .wav's stored as APDCM compressed waves.However you'll be interested in more general sound files .If you check in the sound folder you'll usually find a variety of uncompressed wav's provided by aircraft builder's for their planes.These are often 22,000 to 44,100 wav's -so I guess you can choose the quality that you want. Obviously 'ambient and engine sounds'should be in better quality than the ATC requires.DaveT