Sign in to follow this  
Guest KD Larsen

Airspeed bleeds off in cruise

Guest KD Larsen

Just wanted to try a very heavy flight for a change, so I set everything up for JFK-JNB flight & everything went smoothly until I reached cruise (initially FL290 due to weight, opt was FL298 & max was between FL310 & FL320, ie. plenty of leeway). All of the sudden, the airspeed started go to slowly decrease, up to a point of where I found myself doing M.55 with a 10 degree up nose attitude. I set the altitude to FL280 with a V/S of -500 fpm to try and regain, but it only managed to stop the decelleration. I then set the altitude to FL260 and the V/S to -1200 fpm, which worked, though the airspeed was very slow in climbing. At FL260 I waited for the airspeed to reach a sensible level, before I put FL290 in & selected open climb. The aircraft accelerated to 300 kts & proceeded with climbing at around 400 fpm until FL290 at which point the airspeed settled at M.77. And then it started over, with the airspeed once again slowly bleeding off.The data: ZFW : 362426 lbsFuel : 236482 lbsMax Fuel: 236974 lbsI had tailwinds of approx 40 kts the whole time. I'm also using the updated FDE's posted in this forum.

The only time I've ever seen this is when an external wx add-on had downloaded some bad data and it set the temp at flight level to something like 50 deg C. FSUIPC's limitations on change rate made it somewhat insidious since I had temp changes limited to one deg C per 5 sec or so. When airspeeds start going funky on me, OAT/TAT is one of the first things I check...in fact for a while I had a small watchdog program running via WideFS that would pause the sim if the OAT deviated more than 20 deg C above standard temp for that altitude.Winds shouldn't be an issue if you have the delta rates limited in FSUIPC as well...I have mine set to no more than 1 knot per 3 seconds to prevent suddent shears that can cause stalls and A-floors.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, DC

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest KD Larsen

Thanks for ideas of what to look for - I might try the route again tonight (I have 2 weeks off from now on due to christmas - time to knock my bodyclock unconcious!) and keep an eye out for that.I was flying online at the time, so it could theoretically have been SB that entered some bad wx data. What would be the best option if that was the case? Keeping in mind that I've also entered a 1 kt pr 3 secs limit (or something to that effect) in FSUIPC. I suppose using the "Request Wx" would fix it.

Guest KD Larsen

Just a tag on to the previous post:I'm currently enroute JFK-JNB & so far I've had no problem (except for a VERY poor climb performance - I could still see autogen trees after I had passed Canarsie on a 31L departure :(). I did go into FSUIPC, and apparently I hadn't Allowed changes to FS's own weather & set the limit for windchanges to 5 kts/degrees pr second.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.