Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Help For A Quasi-"Newbie"

Haven't touch PSS's busses for years, but am trying to get back into getting current with them. Ok, after having studied the manuals and taken a few not too successful "test" flights, I have the following questions (which I'm sure have already been answered):1) When exactly do I "activate" the approach phase on the fmc? Let's say ATC says "decend and maintain 2,000 feet blah blah until established on the localizer." The A320 manual (tutorial flight) states: "as the aircraft approaches the target alitude." When exactly do I press the button? At 2,500 feet, 2,000 feet?2) During approach (after having activated the approach phase) speed decelerated, then the aircraft pitched nose up (about 10 degrees).3) I think I entered all the required info into the RadNav page of the fmc, still, I was unable to get the "green" light after pressing the "loc" button.4) I am not able to manually tune the nav 1 radio to the required ILS frequency.Thanks.ricardo

Guest NormanB

Hi Ricardo1. Activate approach phase during the descent at a point when you need to get into an approach configuration (gear/flaps). 2. Have you set ZFW in the CDU the same as the loading of the aircraft before commencing your flight? Also ensure that you use KG or Lbs as appropriate.3. You need to be within range and angle of the localiser. Think of it as a funnel. If you are within the funnel it works. If you are outside it will struggle. Look on your PFD (with the ILS button pressed) at the bottom for the magenta diamond. If its a triangle pointing left or right you are outside the funnel and should steer toward the arrow. Once the arrow changes to a diamond you can press LOC.4. Do you have an example? Also where are you in relation to the ILS?

Guest Niels_C

Hi Ricardo,1) You could even activate before that. For instance I have a littleproblem approaching CYVR, ATC gives my ILS app clearance very late,and it's best to already be in Approach mode by then. You will getsome experience as you use the Bus, but 25 or so miles out is not necessarily too much.2) In the flaps.0 section in aircraft.cfg addlift_scalar=1.43) 4) Erm...? Remember to have a default flight saved as pointed outearlier by PSS. Maybe PSS should anchor that post again?Take care, and happy flights

Guys:thanks for the help. after some more reading of the manual, researching this forum, I realize that I overlooked something important: the Airbus philosophy, which is: set up the fmc correctly and land it fly the airplane. I intervened too much, pressing this button and that button, until I had the fmc in all sorts of wacky configurations. Flew the bus by the book and did a perfect autoland. I also added the lift_scalar line; bingo. Perfect. Except, for some reason, the speed brakes wont retract after touch down (in the outside view, even though I have retracted them on the pedestal).ricardo

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.