Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanK

turboprop question....

Guest dek

Does FS2002 do a good job in modeling turboprop flight characteristics, such as with the Caravan? Specifically, there is a lag period where the turbine is "spooling-up" and the power applied at the controls is not translated immediately into more power at the propeller.How does this compare with real life turboprops?Thanks, dek

Guest estevesm

I fly a modified Caravan C208 by RealAir and it's really good (flight model is great, I don't know if they updated engine behavior). The lag you're talking about does exist but, IMHO, it's a bit exagerated from my experience flying in the right seat of Caravans, King Air and Twin Otters (as a skydiver not FO). I don't think it's a problem, since I usually, on takeoffs, move the power lever slowly to ~60%, wait 'till it's stabilized, and then move it to full throttle.BTW, since we are talking about turboprops, when I fly in our drop zone's twin otter I notice the pilot, after takeoff, pull the propeller lever all the way back to 50% and flies like this until FL140. Is this normal op? Is it applicable to the Caravan as well?

If you download fsc_atr42_300v20.zip and/or fsc_atr42500_v10.zip, read the Paco's documentation for flying his turboprops.I don't know about 50% but they are certainly brought back to around 77% for climb and adjusting the torque for around 80% to maintain a climb speed of 160kias.

Guest IanK

>Does FS2002 do a good job in modeling turboprop flight >characteristics, such as with the Caravan? >Specifically, there is a lag period where the turbine is >"spooling-up" and the power applied at the controls is not >translated immediately into more power at the propeller. >How does this compare with real life turboprops? >>Thanks, dek Hello Dek, yes the MSFS does to turbo-props quite well. Unfortunately the default models are generally rubbish. However if you edit the .air file with a 3rd party editor you will get all the performance you want. An operating manual would be an inportant addition. Some of us know how to model turbojets and piston props and turbo-props are a combination of both of these.Look here for further leads:http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.htmlIan