Sign in to follow this  
Guest bega

Airbus question

Guest bega

Hi, I just purchased the Airbus Pro package two days ago, and Im pretty familiar with how to fly it. But my question is; what is the difference between PUSHING the ALT/HDG/SPD knob, and PULLING it?

Guest vrandar

The concept of managed and selected modes is crucial to the operation of the Airbus and your question indicates you still have some way to go before you are fully familiar with how to fly it. If you push the knob you are going to managed mode and so the MCDU is controlling the heading and speed based on the route in the flight plan, speed constaints and heading constraints. If you pull the knob you are in selected mode and so the altitude, heading or speed is controlled by you via the data you put into the flight control unit on the glareshield.

Guest NormanB

A nice easy way someone described to me.Pulling - I have controlPushing - You (Airbus) have control.

Guest SAS163

Hi.I guess by pushing the knob you let the MCDU set hdg, speed and alt. Thus by pulling these knobs you switch to manual settings.

Guest vrandar

That's correct (and I thought I had said that earlier) - there's no guesswork or mystery to this at all!

Guest vrandar

Sorry, I've just realised that sounded harsh when I didn't mean it to.

Guest speight

Push it to the plane, pull it to you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.