Sign in to follow this  
Guest BMI701EGCC

A320 Flap problem on climout (MAJOR!)

Guest BMI701EGCC

Good afternoon,I'm having a problem with the PSS A320 on climbout with regards to the flap positions.....1.Ive configured the aeroplane for a curcuit (takeoff, app, landing)Flaps 2, FLP/THS= 2/UP2.0Flap 3, FLP/THS= 3/UP2.0(the 2nd time round)...I rotate a v1 and climb out at 15degrees of pitchAbove 300ft "F" becomes visable, which appears below my current speed(which isnt normal)(still got flaps at 3)So i am forced to retract the flaps to 2 because of this,(now the PFD should show 'F',indication to retract flaps to 1, But it doesnt!) I engage AP at 700ft and enable managed ALT, as LVR CLB is shown i put the throttle back to CLB.i continue to climb on the rwy heading, no 'S' speed in sight(im at flap 1 at this stage)As the speed increases the "next flap" icon comes closer, as i hit '=' the FMC automatically retracts my flaps to '0' Summerytakeoff-Already past 'F' speed(retract flap to 2)through '='"next greater flap" FMC automatically reacts flaps to '0'Does anybody know whats wrong here,Thanks,Scott Waterworth BMI701EGCC

Guest speight

NO NEED TO DIE BY WIRE ANY MORE IN YOUR SCAREBUS.Transform your A3xx into a graceful bird and put a smile on your face."A320 Climbs at too high an angle".It is a problem that has sent many people packing to other aircraft, just read the Pss forums.It appears that Pss made some kind of very simple programming error.The flex temp is the wrong way round in the pss mcdu. This error can easily be worked round as follows:You must of course always start the situation in a default plane.and you must read the manual thoroughly.To see what I mean try the following circuit:Go to CYVR Vancouver 26L with fair weather and set a realistic/typical take off fuel quantity of say around 7 or 8 tons and a typical take-off Zero Fuel weights ie;For the PSSA320C: pax 150, bags+cargo to 12120lb and ZFW of 132970. For the Ifdg A320C merge; pilot & co-pilot 170 each, F & R cab 12750 each, F & R cargo 6000 each giving ZFW 128.24FLIGHT PLAN:On the init page set your circuit altitude first of 4000ft.Enter a proper circuit plan in the form of an oblong with 4 waypoints, the first about 1.5 mile ahead of the runway, the next 5m to the north, next one 14m to the East of that and the last at least 12m before the landing runway-26L. Make sure the dep and arr rwys are entered into the FMGS flight plan. Remove the discontinuity and so you can repeat the flight save the plan in the FMGS in the format eg: "CYVRCYVR001" PERFORMANCE:enter the zfw into the init page then the fuel(FOB), the go to perf page and set the flex temp to -42. (YES-MINUS 42deg C and not the plus 42 that is showing as default). enter the flex as 3/up2.4 or 3/up1.4 depending on which a/c you are using-Pss or Ifdgmerge. Go into the cruise page and set the cruise speed to 250kts. Go to the approach page and set the descision height to 400, baro to 1013, temp to 15 and wind to 0/0.Next right click on the v-speeds in FMGS.Check passenger signs are on, flaps set 3 and trim to 2.4 up for pss.(Ifdg merge is 1.4 up)Check the lower ecam checklist button for correct t/o config.Now first make sure the FD is on and secondly L-click the speed, heading and alt once each on the glare shield.(this sets the values into the auto-pilot).TAKE-OFF:Now line up on the runway and hit the + key twice to give a reduced thrust setting of around 90%. Rotate at the green mark to 12deg nose-up and with positive climb, gear up. Adjust trim as required to ensure speed stablises at the V2+10 mark and press autopliot to on. Now sit back and you should be climbing at V2+10 around 1300fpm. At 1500ftagl, the flex thrust in the pfd will flash, so hit the -key to make it go into climb thrust then clean the flaps on schedule. You should be clean by 3000ft and the a/c will follow the circuit at 250 kts.APPROACH:While on the downwind, enter the approach alt into the autopilot and when reaching the white arrow left click the alt to start your descent to 3000. Once there, set and confirm the approach phase in the performance page. The a/c will now slow down to min clean speed and turn onto the base leg. Click the App button and the second autopilot. nw set flaps one and as the plane slows down to that speed, set flaps 2 and allow it to slow again. when the glideslope becomes alive, gear down and set flaps successivly to full, allowing the plane to slow each time.Now set continuous ignition, select autobrake med and arm the spoilers.When the man shouts 400, the message LAND should appear in the pfd, when the man shouts RETARD the a/c should be automatically flaring so press the -key to get idle thrust, when you touch down, press it again for reverse idle or a second time for full reverse and hit the z key to switch off the a/p, when you've slowed to 60 kts press the +key to return to forward idle and go into manual braking.This gets me a very smooth autoland every time. Disconnecting the a/p at 1000ft followed by manual landing is the norm thoughNotes;When going for a reduced thrust take off, you must consider that the runway is long enough, say 10000ft+, is near sea level and the a/c is not too heavy. If you think you might not get airborne soon enough, hit the + key an extra time to set toga thrust, then the -key immediatly after t/o to return to flex thrust.The flex temp is the wrong way round in the pss mcdu, so entering the temp as minus 42 instead of plus 42 which is displayed as default, will reduce the thrust nicely. If you leave it as +42, you will get to much power and climb too fast with light loads.Generally, when taking off for a normal flight of around 3 or 4 hours, setting flex -27 will be about right giving N1 93%If you are lighter setting -42 will give N1 90% and so-on.I believe Rob Elliot of BAV is going to produce an appropriate table to allow you to set the correct flex.THE OTHER PSS A320 PROBLEM:The load editor has a problem in that as soon as you touch the "scheduled" planes button, it crashes with a runtime error.If this happens, simply insert the cd and hit the repair button.To prevent re-occurence, ONLY USE the "chartered" A3xx buttons-leave the scheds alone. I saved all the chartered with full pax and 80lb of baggage /cargo per pax, then wrote the values into a table which I printed so that I need never go back into the load editor again.If you have never used the loadeitor, the default weights that are in are for no pax and just the cargo holds full, which is a bit on the light side, which is another reason why people are getting megga climbouts/moonshots/space probes/scarebus/die by wire.I am using the PSSA320 cd version patched to fs9 witout any mods and it works perfectly when I use those minus flex values and set all the weights to something typical.I also use the Pss/Ifdg merge, which has much more realistic attitude on approach. though in order to set the loads, you will need to use the fl sim AIRCRAFT/FUEL&PAYLOAD to change the values.I use Des Braban sounds for CFM engines, he did quite a few, so there is good choice, though the Pss ones are pretty good anyway. One important thing is to always check you have set theflight director and between circuits switch it off then on again before reprogramming the fmgs, otherwise the climbout will go wrongHope you Pss pilots find this useful, happy flying.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Howiep4 2.81gb ramfx5950u 250mb graphicsgb dual mem mboardintelchipsetxpsp2fs9-1

Guest vrandar

The excellent post above will, I hope, answer several of the problems you've raised recently. But a coule of minor extra ones: if you don't enter anything at all into the MCDU but are just using selected mode then the 'F' indication will often apear when you are already past that speed. The other thing is that I'm not sure what you ar pressing "=" for. Oh, I've just realised, you've probably re-assigned the MS default F7 key to this, that would be it.As Howie suggests, set up your circuit with waypoints in the MCDU, follow his other suggestions and let us know what happens.

Guest dinkar

excellent post above. thank you. will revert after trying out your suggestions. thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.