Sign in to follow this  

I want to try FS2K2 but... need opinions from FLY and F

Hello everyone. I tried to post about this and was told to post here and in the Fly forum.Here is my dilemma. I have FLY 2K and it was given to me as a gift. I loved it as it was the one sim I had ever used. But I knew I was only able to use it on a basic level b/c anytime I tried to use terra server and all the various pathces and such, they never worked. The only thing I was able to do was use some of the planes found here.NOw I got my new computer and I wanted to get FS2k2. I played FS2K2 once at my fiends place and was blown away by the scenery and the amount of planes I was able to choose from(including his uploads). How is FS2k2 CONCRETELY different from FLYII? Can someone tell me what you find are the advantages of using the FLYII vs FS2k2? From what I heard one user say, there are lots more patches and bugs in FLYII and I just dont think I have all the know how to fix them if I were to use it. I guess I could have both? I hope to hear from users of both sims. What did you find to be the pros and cons of each? I thank you for your time. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Guest Lindy

I use both sims. Like you I started with Fly!2k and loved it -- patches, add ons and all. I purchased Fly!2 to support TRI and enjoyed it but was disappointed in the lack of rivers, roads, lakes, etc. Plus it did not run well on my P3 700 mhz computer. Thanks to the dedicated core group of Fly!2 users, the program has matured into a very nice, well done sim. I have acquired a new computer as well, and Fly!2 runs fine for me now. However, in the meantime, I also managed to get a copy of MSFS2K2 -- my first experience with the MS product. I am almost sorry to say that it has become my favorite sim. The wealth of quality aircraft addons and scenery addons is amazing -- and they are free! Of course if you want to spend money, there are top notch commercial addons as well.From time to time I return to Fly!2. I STILL prefer the planes' panels (I'm talking default stuff here, Larry ;-) ). I also really like the map overlay you can call up in flight. It shows where you are, the traffic around you, the nearby airports and NAVAIDS. You can zoom in and see the runway/taxiway layout of the airports. In my opinion, the default planes fly more realistically in Fly!2. There are also separate control and realism settings for fixed wing and rotary aircraft. I also think the ATC is a bit better than in FS.New addons are coming out all the time for Fly!2. And the new FSImport utility allows you to import 3rd party scenery from FS for use in Fly!2. I believe this is a significant contribution. However all this pales when compared to the sheer number of addons available for FS2K2. The airport database for FS is more complete -- not surprising since MS has exclusive use of Jeppesen data. The default 2D panels are not the best -- some are better than others. The Virtual Cockpits are interesting but sometimes difficulty (at least for me) to use for actual flying any distance. However, again, some planes (and developers) make better use of the VC than do others. Both sims are excellent. If possible I would strongly urge you to use both of them. It is impossible to say that one is better or worse than the other -- they are just different.I probably wasn't much help. -Lindy :-wave

That was a perfect summation in my mind, Lindy.Specially that last part: "Both sims are excellent. If possible I would strongly urge you to use both of them. It is impossible to say that one is better or worse than the other -- they are just different."It always confounds me when people only want to play one game or use only one simulator. To me, thats like trying to decide on only *one* movie to ever see - talking yourself, for some reason, in to excluding all others. Or picking out only *one* song on a CD (before you've even heard all of them) and forcing yourself to *not* listen to any of the others.I hope he gets both... They both have their individual strengths and weaknesses - but more importantly, their own personality.Hope all is well with you and yours... I'm glad to see you are finally happy with your computer too! :-)Elrond

To be completely hoenst, I think I may have to get both too!LOL.SOunds like apples and oranges to me. ANd fruit salad is always a nice option! Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.