Sign in to follow this  
Guest giln

No fuel flow to engines 1 and 2

Guest giln

when i took off, i had a very little amount of fuel in my left and rught tanks, however i had 100 percent in my centre tank, i just passed 2000 feet and the engines shut down on the a320. I noticed that the fuel in the left and right tanks. I tried restarting and noticed that the airplane's engines will not start unless there is fuel in the left and right tanks. If i try with fuel just in the centre and it would not start. I tried it with fuel in the l and r tanks and they started, i was wondering why is this, why must there be fuel in the left and right tanks for the engines to function????

Guest S Hilmerby

HiThe engines get fuel from left/right main tanks. The fuel in the center tank is transfered to the main tanks and the transfer pumps can not give enough fuel to both engines. So, fill up the main tanks first. This is normal procedure on every aircraft. The wing tanks should be filled to capacity before any fuel in the center tank./Stellan

Guest vrandar

Just to add that it is against Airbus SOP to takeoff with the centre tank pumps switched on.

Guest S Hilmerby

>Just to add that it is against Airbus SOP to takeoff with the>centre tank pumps switched on.Where did you get that information?Airbus have the a general rule "to extinguish all white lights" during the scan sequence. So, at least on the A340 all fuelpumps are set to ON during he prestart checklist. The system will take care of the rest. The center tank pumps run continiously whenever there is fuel in the center tank. When the center tank is empty, both center tank pumps stop./Stellan

Guest vrandar

Sorry, was thinking of the A320 family where takeoff on centre tank is prohibited (PH 2.8.3). Of course, as you rightly point out, the system takes care of this. Normally fuel is run in Auto mode and will pump while there is fuel in the tanks except when the slats are extended and straight after engine start when they run for two minutes anyway as a test whether or not the slats are extended. But my understanding is that in manual mode the pilots need to switch off the centre tank pumps prior to extending slats for takeoff then back on again after slat retraction.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

5%
    $1,455.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now