Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

A320/319/321 nose diving after take-off and gear retraction!

Hello,I just purchased my fourth payware, the PSS Airbus Pro along with the A330 and the A340. The A320 or 319/321 (all have same problem). My other payware include the absolutely flawlessly running Ready for Pushback 747-200 (which has 5 times the complexity of the PSS), the PMDG 737NG and the Cessna 172 by FlightOne - none have any issues whatsoever. I already use the RFP without any issues and have mastered this complex aircraft and panel fairly well. For such a complex product, the RFP IS BY FAR THE BEST thing I have ever seen for FS2004 and it has basically no bugs at all (at least running on my system), so you can imagine that I was quite disappointed with the major issues I'm having with the PSS Airbus Pro.Firstly, take-off seems to be a struggle - I have to pull my CH flight yoke real hard for the plane to take-off at speeds of 150-160 KIAS or faster. After take-off I retract the gear and the airplane nose dives and crashes!! The flaps are retracted without issues, only the gear causes the crash. BUT - here is an interesting thing but for which I am at a loss to find a solution - IF I SWITCH TO EXTERNAL (SPOT) view, the plane RECOVERS AND DOES NOT DOES DIVE...NO such problem occurs with the A330 nor the A340.This happens ONLY with the PSS FDE. I quickly installed PEDRO OLIVEIRA'S FDE version 10 and there is NOT SUCH PROBLEM with nose diving after take-off. Unfortunately, Pedro does not make FDE for the 319 and the 321 and since I PAID for all THREE of these variations in Airbus Pro, I would like a solution please.The other problem is one I've seen others have also - the panel which is the so-called "fix" of the flickering mouse has a black front view - the side views show the outside but the main 2D panel front view shows a completely black outside world.JohnAMD ATHLON XP 3200+ASUS A7N8XE-DELUXE motherboardsingle module of KINGS VALUERAM, 1024MB, 333MHz. SDRAMATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB retail built by ATI, video cardCREATIVE LABS AUDIGY 2 ZS sound cardWindows XP Pro, SP2CH FLIGHT YOKE USB (20-button version)CH PRO PEDALS USB

Guest NormanB

John,Check the version of FSUIPC you are using is the latest version. There was one which effectively killed FBW when on inside view.This combined with the flicker fix will sort your issue. Want a little more proof before you try it? On inside view change to FLT CTRL page on the lower ecam and watch what happens as you try to rotate. Now do the same in 3D.

Hi Norman,Thank-you for your response but I already have the latest version of FSUIPC. In my hurry to post my problem, I forgot last night to post some of the things I already tried so here is a summary:(1) Updated FSUPIC from version 3.4.4.0 to 3.45 - no change(2) The fact that this problem (of nose diving) does NOT occur with Pedro Oliveira's FDE is PROOF - solid proof - there is something seriously wrong with the PSS FDE, don't you think?(3) Deleted the FS9.CFG file and rebuilt it - no change.(4) Deleted the STATE.CFG files for all PSS aircraft.(5) Started from the default Cessna 172 by Microsoft with a cold & dark cockpit.(6) I use clear weather, no add-on weather simulator being used at all even though I do have Active Sky 2004 4.5.I also seem to have gear retraction issues after take-off which was resolved but in the A330 (and possibly the A340 for I haven't tried this on all the planes yet, seeing I just bought the packages) and the A320 series, the gear will not go down, even with flaps in landing configuration 2, 3 or full and speed at a reasonably slow speed of 180 KIAS or slower... again, this has not occurred for me in any other payware or freeware unless I'm going too fast. I will try my Logitech joystick in combination with my CH PRO PEDALS to see if problem is resolved for both the nose diving and gear retraction issues.By the way, what is FBW ??? ... John

FBW is FLY BY WIRE and means that the aircrafts steering systems are run with electrical wires insted of cable wires, meaning that whenever you move youre stick you send a signal to the Computer wich calculates the rotate or bank angle of the airplane. In each wing there are three computers operating the aileron which is hooked up to the FMGC and MCP and youre stick etc. One computer moves the aileron, the second one controls the first and the third is for worst case backup (in case one or to fails)So if the first one fails the second one takes over and if the second fails the third one takes over. There was many doubts about this system when Airbus launched FBW withA300 and A310 (not shure if the A300 had it, but i know the A310 had)and pilots and engineers worldwide said Airbus was doing a big mistake in letting the steering system of the aircraft run on electrical cables.But it shure saves a lot of weight andmakes the flightmechanics job a WHOLE LOT easier.Yngve

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Ok! Heres some tips for you about the Gear retraction issues:In flightsim select the FSUIPC module and go to the Technical tab.Set the battery life value to 99 and make shure you have the "battery last for ever" or what ever it is called checked OFF.By the way.. I have the RFP 747-200 and i have had tons of troubles and crashes and etc. especially with the INS making Flightsim crash for reasons i dont know.And PSS AirbusPro runs perfect on my system.Make shure youve read the manuals completely. and that you use the A/Throttle for takeoff setting it on either FLX or TO mode depending on weight, weather and runway conditions. You have to set the Throttles in the CL gate after takeoff so the A/T can do its job and make shure the aircraft maintain it's right speeds during the different phases of flight, or else it youll overspeed, The REASON for why you NOSEDIVE:DO NOT SET THE THROTTLES BACK ON IDLE AFTER TAKEOFF, this will cause the aircraft to go OUT of A/T and AP mode and make it nosedive.THE Airbus is MUCH MORE complex then the 747-200 and has a completely different system.The Airbus is more a Computer run Aircraft and you have to useNumpad + and - to set the throttles in the different gateswhich are:IDLE. CL (Autothrottle mode) FLX (reduced takeoff) TO/GA (max takeoff power) If you take the throttles in the IDLE position after takeoff the aircraft will NOSEDIVE!!and dont set the takeoff thrust manually cause after takeoff when you turn the autopilot on it will NOSEDIVE Best regardsYngve

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

>My other payware include the absolutely>flawlessly running Ready for Pushback 747-200 (which has 5>times the complexity of the PSS)NO! it's the other way around. the PSS is 5 times more complex than the RFP 747-200. And belive me: I have the RFP myself!I think you have to read the manuals a bit more!best regardsYngve

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Hello Yngve,Thanks very much for the information. I had not realized that the throttle quadrant had to be used in their detent settings and that the CH throttle on the flight yoke did not work. I do know what Fly-By-Wire means, by the way, just that the abbreviation threw me off...I also have no issue now with a black front view and it happened after simply re-installing the panel.cfg fix. After flying the 321, 320 and the 319 in various test flights, the view is still uncorrupted and has not reverted back to black like it happened to one person whose posting I remember reading.I am still reading the manuals to understand the rather automated operation of the Airbus (for which it is known I know as I had read about it) but I did not expect that I could not hand fly it on full manual control. While it is fun to use the autothrottle and detent settings on the throttle quadrant to handle thrust, is there no way to fly the Airbus fully manually? Surely, this is possible in real life, no?In any case, thanks again for all the very helpful hints.As for the complexity of the RFP versus the PSS - well-you define complexity by the amount of computer FMC/MCDU programming you do, not on the number of functional gauges and switches on the panel. I define complexity by the amount of functionality given to the numerous gauges found on the panel. The RFP panel has about 95% of its switches fully functional and starting engines is a long process whereas many gauges on the PSS panel are not functional despite being shown. This is why RFP is more complex in the number of MANUAL (hands-on) manipulations the pilot has to do on the panel. But I can see that there are many many computer settings one can play with in PSS...but starting engines involves simply starting the APU which in real life is probably more complicated than that.Take care and thanks again.John

Guest vrandar

>.....is there no way to fly the Airbus fully manually? Surely, this is possible in real life, no?Yes it can be flown with autothrust off and autopilots off, but it's not easy and is against most airline (and Airbus) SOPs which usually mandate using as many of the automated onboard systems as are available.

Thanks for the hint. Although, I have read from people who are pilots or who know pilots that from time to time, they fly fully manually or at least land manual to "keep their skills" sharp. Actually, I just did a fully manual landing, after letting the autopilot do the work until about 4000ft ASL. So the last 16.6 NM from airport was fully manual and it is quite an experience - very good control on the A319 with respect to stability of pitch and rudder too. My landing was a little wobbly before touchdown in trying to get used the response of this bird but I was very happy with it. My flight was from Lome in Togo, Africa (DXXX) to Libreville, Gabon (FOOL). Once I understand how to disengage autopilot and autotrottle, I was really "flying" for real. Like many pilots (real ones, that is, for I'm just a virtual pilot), I find it rather anxiety-provoking to use computers all throughout a flight. I feel I'm not in full control, especially when landing, so I prefer always to do manual lands. I have to admit, I did successfully do an autoland once with the IFDG Airbus A320 with Eric Marciano's panel and it was a perfect one which really impressed me...but, what's use of flying if one cannot learn how to land, right?John

>I had not realized that>the throttle quadrant had to be used in their detent settings>and that the CH throttle on the flight yoke did not work. Just glad to help out :-) Now, excqueese my little bad wnglish wliting, i was kinda nervous it would be a little hard to understand, anyway.. You can use the throttle but dont set it manually for takeoff power.Now, during APP you can switch the AP1 off, which i do from time to time to get some training, but remember you can use the NumPad + and - to set the throttles instead of using the mouse. Makes it abit easier. And during the APProach you can choose if you'd like to control the throttles yourself or let the A/t do its job!by the way.. about the complexity i think you are quite right..it depends on what you look at in the systems.And that is something i like with the B747-200So many buttons and systems to be switched on.. oh boy i love that! :-hahCHEERS and HAPPY flying Byrna! :-)Yngve

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Guest vrandar

>Thanks for the hint. Although, I have read from people who>are pilots or who know pilots that from time to time, they fly>fully manually or at least land manual to "keep their skills">sharp. >Landing with autopilot off but autothrust on is quite normal and common, I do it myself frequently. It's turning autothrust off as well which is not such a good idea

I have been used to landing with manual thrust almost 100% of the time so it's quite easy for me to get the hang of it. By the way, I just landed the A342 and also discovered another function in FS2004 (based on some comments I had read in this forum) which, if turned off, makes control quite a bit more easy an probably is not simulated all that well (just a guess, since I'm not a pilot) - the GYRO DRIFT simulation setting in the realism settings. I found that the PSS Airbuses all veer to the left and needless to say, this makes the final approach and landing not terribly fun. I really doubt that these actually do that in real life (at least not to this extent) but correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't "gryo drift" a function of rotating engines moving the aircraft to one direction and isn't it basically non-existent in any aircraft with two or more engines as the engines are counter-balanced and rotate in opposite directions?John

Thanks Yngve,Yes I do use the "+" and "-" keys on the keyboard for autothrust settings on the throttle quadrant as it is much less headaches this way. As I mentioned in my comments above regarding landing with manual thrust, I wouldn't have it any other way. The last 10NM or so, I'm on full manual control or I would learn absolutely NOTHING from Flight Simulation (if I used AP and auto-land, that is)!Thanks and happy flying to you too. (I'm progressing through Africa - just landed at Entebbe, Uganda).John

>""Isn't "gryo drift" a function of rotating engines moving the >aircraft to one direction and isn't it basically non-existent in >any aircraft with two or more engines as the engines are counter->balanced and rotate in opposite directions?""Well. the engines does not spin in opposite direction. Thats why there is gyrodrift, because the engines spin CW as mechanics think and CCW as pilots see it (standing either in the front of the engine or back) This gytrodrift is reduced with a kinda gearsystem called shlarks (thats in norwegian) and are thin plates reducing the vibbrations and also reducing gyrodrift.If the vibration should rise extensively during a flight in one of the engines (seen on the EICAS/ECAM) there is a malfuction with the shlarks. as they "suck up" the vibration produced by the spinning turbines and comperssors. This will cause gyrodrift becoming more extensive and making the aircraft unstable. During a flight vibrations are so low that the gyrodrift is bearly there. The fan is driven by a gear reduction system usually powered by the low pressure turbine (the most rear) via a shaft. if the gear planet wheels should fail this will also cause a more significant Gyro.This gearreduction is used because the low pressure turbine holds to high RPM for the fan to be driven in. (N1=FAN,N2=low pressure compressor)Yngve

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

One thing I have noticed when I originally experienced this problem was that it may be related to technique.After takeoff, I am now doubly sure to have the aircraft settled in initial climb (V2+10 and this speed is very important) without any pressure on the pitch axis of the sidestick. The experts here can correct me if I'm wrong but (and I think this is what Norm wants you to notice when you look at the F-CTRL page during takeoff) as soon as you turn on the AP, the elevators return to a neutral position and the pitch is controlled by elevator trim. If the aircraft's pitch is not trimmed in the climb when you hit the AP1 or AP2 button, this will result in a pitch down while the autopilot takes control of the climb with the elevator trim.So after I leave the runway, I always try to have the stick centred and the aircraft stable in the climb, before switching to autopilot. This way, the trim is already close to where the AP wants it and the elevators are settled, meaning the transition from manual flight to autoflight requires a smaller adjustment to attitude.Also remember if you don't have the speed at V2+10 when you turn on the AP, the AP will adjust pitch drastically to correct this resulting in either a very speet pitch up (if you are too fast) or a level off which is less likely (if you are too slow).Greg

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.