Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Blurred textures

I am currently updating my computer. At the moment I have a nVidia 32Mb TNT2 Model 64. I have ordered a 128Mb GeForce4Ti4200 8X VIVO (it was the best that I could afford). This is what was recommended to me by a friend who has one. Will this help to stop the blurred textures on say the Lago Terramesh scenery I have installed. I do get good framerates but would like to improve the texture quality. Also could any one answer the following three questions:1. What does VIVO mean?2. Will this new card affect my DVD player in the computer?3. Will I be able to improve my screen resolution with this new card. I currently am on 1028x768, will I be able to get to 1280x1024 for example? I can use that setting now but it flickers too much and the sim runs very slowly.Thanks in advance,RichardAMD Athlon 1300Mzh Processor80GB hard drive512Mb RAM32Mb nVidia TNT2 Model 64 Graphics cardCreative Sound Blaster Sound Card

Guest outtatimeiii

1) VIVO just stands for Video In Video Out. Just means that you can hook composite or S-video into it to watch TV or something, or put a picture on a TV.2)I dont know about this one, I use my VIVO card to play DVD's with my player (not a drive, but an actual player).3)You can go to high res without much fps loss if your comp can handle it. But as you get higher, the refresh rate goes down, thus causing flickering.Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply ZackOn the front of my CD drive there is the DVD logo like on the movie DVD's that you would buy in the shops if that helps. I dont see why it would not work with the new card but I wanna make sure before I buy it. Knowing my luck it blooming wouldnt!

Guest JonP01

Richard,The new graphics card will help reduce blurry textures for two reasons. One is that you can run the terrain textures at maximum detail with no material performance loss, which is something you might be struggling to do with the old TNT. The second thing is that the Ti 4200 supports anisotropic filtering. By employing this (at at least level 2 trilinear, preferably level 4 trilinear), you will significantly decrease blurry textures as the textures stretch towards the horizon away from your aircraft.Also don't forget the fs2002.cfg tweaks (well documented here) for reducing blurries. With a 128Mb Ti 4200 there is little performance loss when using these tweaks (infact I don't notice any, although I did on earlier cards to the Ti 4x00 series).As far as the well-documented "dynamic" blurries are concered, my view and personal experience is the new card won't help terribly much, but as I said the whole visual effect will still improve because of what I mentioned in the above two paragraphs. My own tests have shown the the CPU and RAM are much more critical to keeping dynamic blurries at bay than the video card. That's not to say the video card is important here, because obviously it is. But I've seen far less of these dyanamic blurries on a fast Athlon XP machine running a basic 16Mb TNT 2 cards than I have on slower machine running a Geforce 3 or 4 cards. This is at identical fs2002.cfg settings. Perhaps yours or other's mileage will vary, but the CPU and RAM seem to me to be the most important erradicator of these dynamic blurries.

Thanks JonPO1. Im glad that there are people like yourself and Zack who take the trouble to help technical novices like me. You said to look on this forum for FS2002 cfg tweaks. I was told about a zip file on, dare I say it, flightsim.com (gf4mxdsp.zip). Is this what you were meaning?

Guest JonP01

Richard,These links have been provided by PaulL01. I hope he does not mind me linking you straight to them. Paul has done a lot of good work in this area, saving people like you and me the trouble of figuring it out for ourselves:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedhttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threaded

Thanks for posting the links.Look forward to trying these out when I get the new card (should be today some time!)Thanks again

I upgraded to a GF4-4200 card not long ago and found I could go from 1024x768 to 1280x960 and 2xFSAA without fps loss. In addition, the scenery was visible much further out than before.. I think you will be very happy with this card!I'd suggest going with the native settings first, before getting too far into tweaking.. Also, 1280x1024 is not a 4:3 ratio (like 1024x768) so I believe you get better performance if you go with 1280x960!The maximum refresh rate also depends on what your monitor can handle.. so at some point, that could be the limiting factor.. make sure you keep your monitor refresh above 70 or you will get flickering..BTW.. the 30.82 video drivers are very solid, so if you have graphics issues, you may want to use those as your benchmark.. Good luck!

Bert