Sign in to follow this  
Hakkie

Driver update help ATI 9700

Good aftenoon,I have tried to update the driver for the 9700 from the ATI web site, but have continued to run into problems on the installation. After reading the FAQs I found it may have to do with me owning a HP computer, and that I should get new drivers from HP. I have gone to HP's web site and they do not have any updated drivers for the Video Card. The error message I am getting is something like this. "No VGA complient driver found" or something of that nature.I have installed drivers before on my old HP when I had the 8500 LE, and never had any problems. Can anyone shed some light on this?For now I am stuck with the driver that came on the CD. I have read that some people are getting better performance with some of the newer releases. Thanks, Scott

Thanks, I think they were the Catalyst Drivers, but I will try and let ya know what I find.Thanks,Scott

I tried the driver you suggested and I still get the Severe:Set up VGA mode prior to installing and try again Anyone know what is going on?I have a HP 753n desk topThanks Scott

Scott,Use this link at the ATI web-site for drivers: http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.htmlDownload the following after you answer the questions on that link:"Driver Suite, Version 6.14.01.6255""ATI Control Panel, Version 6.14.10.4012"What you need to do is go into your Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, and remove all of the ATI Software, eg. "ATI Display Driver" - "ATI Control Panel"...Reboot your computer and re-enter windows, when it displays a window that says it has a found a device such as "VGA Controller" and needs a driver, simply hit the cancel button to clear away the dialog.Install the "Driver Suite" package first which I assume you have downloaded, reboot when it asks, install the "ATI Control Panel" package, and then reboot again if it asks. You should be all set, that is the route I followed for my Radeon 9500 Pro (uses the same drivers as your 9700)Note I never trust the manufacturer of my PC to provide the proper or most-up-to-date drivers for any device in my computer.-Matt

Matt,Thank you for responding. I have already tried the process you have suggested and still can't load the driver. After I remove the ATI driver, control panel etc, and look in "Device Manager" I no longer have a display device. I have tried each driver that ATI has released and get the same results. I don't understand why I can load the one on the CD but can't load the downloaded version. I have also tried ATI support but only get links to pages I have already looked at on their web site. They say to contact my computer manufacturer, so I was on the phone for and hour last night with HP, and still couldn't get any results. The HP tech confirmed that the on-board video device on my mother board has been disabled as suggested by ATI as well. My question to you is, after you remove the old ati driver and reboot, does your "Display Devices" disappear in the "Device Manager"? My display adapter goes away and a big yellow question mark appears at the "Other Device" heading. Two sub-headings under that read video controller and video controller(VGA Compatible) bulleted by smaller yellow question marks. When I look at those two items' properties, they both have problems and show no driver. I then go to the New Driver and try the install and it always fails. Guess I can't update which is pretty sad. Especially since I have seen some folks having better results with the newer releases. Thanks,Scott

I132; Which driver version is on the CD. I bought mine last September with CD version 6166. They've worked flawlessly and I'm still using em'. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it. Since then several new versions of drivers have become available; mostly because of hardware issues. I don't think there's any great performance enhancers out yet. There are no DX9 games available yet. No new certified drivers enable 16bit AA yet. So, I'd say; if the CD drivers are working good for you, there's no need to change yet. I'll change drivers when they have both 16bit AA available and are specially for DX9 and then only when I see DX9 games available that I want to load up.

That makes since to me! I have been very pleased with the performance of the card so far. For some reason I always think newer is better, but in this case maybe I am best served sticking with what I've got. Now... if we could just have the Meridian released today!Not fixing what isn't broke,Scott

Well MGD makes a good point, but my personal opinion is to keep up-to-date, I've never been burned by doing it. ATI products tend to have a bit more problems than other brands and new drivers will fix potential bugs that you may not had known of and could cause problems in the future.Another thing to consider, if you can, is a peek in your computer and find out if your card is really an ATI Radeon 9700 product. There are several 3rd party makers, and some companies may state "ATI Radeon 9700" because the video card carries that chipset, but may not be made directly by ATI. In that case consider the "Powered by ATI" drivers:http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.htmlThese drivers are equivilent to the NVIDIA Reference Drivers, they detect and provide generic support for the video chipset regardless of specifically who manfacutured the actual board. A possibility is that the usual drivers you have tried go to look for an authentic ATI product, they don't find it, and then so then yell and fail the install.Installing these ATI "reference drivers" is the same as usual. Make sure all traces of ATI are off your system and attempt to run the installer you downloaded off that page I linked above.As regards to the question marks in Device Manager, that is standard issue. Windows doesn't have custom drivers for the device, so it runs the device with generic VGA drivers and warns you about it.I hope that works!-Matt

A bit off-topic I'm afraid. Sorry for that.@RedBomberMan, I'm also using the (Club3D version of) ATI 9500Pro card. I have a problem switching back to fullscreen mode in FS2002. FS2002 is running in fullscreen, I Alt-Tab in order to load/check any external addon program and then Alt-Tab back to FS2002. I always get a black screen then. 2 Ways to get the FS2002 fullscreen back: (1) go to windowed and back to fullscreen by pressing Alt-Enter, or (2) press the right mouse button so the menu pops up and then close this. Do you also have this issue? I am running WindowsXPPro SP1, DirectX9, Catalyst3a drivers, latest nVidia nForce2 driverset from Asus for my A7N8X board. Just curious if I'm the only one with this problem....

Have the same problem as you and Fs is the only program that does this.Ed

Yeah I have windowed-to-full screen problems too, its an ATI thing I guess. Before I hit Alt-Enter, I always pause the sim so its not bogged down with processing the aircraft during the switch. It seems like pausing while making changes, or moving in and out of full-screen helps quite a bit. I usually get blue-screened (critical win2K error) when it has a full crash.-Matt

Did not solve my problem. But thanks anyway! Guess ATI has to look into this. I will let them know about this FS2002 issue.