Sign in to follow this  
Guest oasas

VOR approach

Guest oasas

Hi,How can i fly a VOR-DME approach in PSS Airbus?Please help me.Regards,Tiago

Guest Calum

Hello Tiago ,this should be no problem , simply go to a VOR/DME equpped airport ( most international ones are , but check on map view to make sure ;) ) , then take note of the frequency of the VOR/DME ( ***.** ) , write that freq. down , and load your Airbus at that airport.setup as normal , but not much fuel seeing you are landing very shortly anyway , remember to set ZFW and BFW ( Block Fuel ) , to help during the app. ( so the FMC knows what you are doing and can tell you what Vapp will be for app. ).Now , taxi out , take off , do a circuit either using manual or autopilot basic commands ( just altitude and heading and speed settings , no VNAV / LNAV ). while flying , click " Rad Nav " page on the FMC , then type in the freq. of the VOR/DME you had at the start into the " Freq. " box on the FMC. Aim to establish on your landing runway heading about 10 - 12DME inbound , so you have a realxing time ( and even look out the windows ;) ) , once there , switch your ND display , using the EFIS control panel , change it from " ARC " to " Rose VOR " mode. The ND display will now change and it should have the correct VOR/DME set with the Freq. and distance to go showing. From there , you just basically track like a normal VOR , using the central deviation bar to keep on course , and using the DME to tell distance. In real life , ALL VOR/DME approaches airliners make have a chart , telling you for example ... " by 10DME be not above 4000' , not below 3500' " ... " 5DME , not above 2500' , not below 2000' " ... so the pilot knows at what point to descend the aircraft until at some point ( above his/her DH ) , he/she become visual with the runway , and from there just follow it in :)Hope I helped Calum

Guest medicus41

HI,good explain. But one Question. When i intercept a VOR e.g on R180 and now i will follow this exactly. How make it this? An another Aircraft give a "NAV" Button. When this pushed the AP follow the VOR. How give this in PSS Airbus? Or must this from manually?GreetzJulio

Guest Calum

Hi Julio ,again , no problem , the real-world airbus setup is certainly different from other aircraft , there is no way to tune a radio aid or set the CRS and stuff manually , so this done by using the FMC :)To Tune a VOR / ADF / ILS ( although usually the ILS are set automatically ) , you go to the FMC , and click the " RAD NAV " page , this is ( as you guess , Radio Navigation page ). To tune one , you simply get the frequency from a chart or map , and type it in to the FMC , then click the " VOR1 " line select key. ( or the ILS or ADF1 line select keys if tuning a ILS or ADF ( obviously )).Then , to set it to the correct heading ( or CRS ( course )) which i think is what you are talking about , you simply look at the heading in degrees at the top right of the ND ( when it is set on ARC page ) , take note of the heading it shows , and type that in to the FMC , then click " CRS ". Once you do that , go back to VOR or ILS EFIS setting for ND , and it will have alligned correctly for you to track TO or FROM :)To set an ILS offset ( Like at Innsbruck or similar ) , it is similar but i would suggest using a chart to get the correct CRS setting for approach ;)Hope i helped and Good luck( also sorry for such long post despite just a small question , oopps hehe :) )Calum

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.