Sign in to follow this  
Guest dolbinau.

PSS A3XX HDG/AUTOPILOT INFO.

Guest dolbinau.

Hey,I was wondering, is it possible to disengage the HDG thing in the autopilot ( To follow a certain HDG, instead of MCDU Inupts etc..) Once its activated?e.g I want to fly at an altitude of 1,500 feet with the AP on downwind, But I want manually turn base, how can I do this?

Guest NormanB

Pull the HDG knob toward you.

Guest Calum

Hello Cameron ,it is very easy to make the a/p fly the " Basic " controls ( not VNAV or LNAV ). For you to set up what you describe , before take-off , set 1500 in the altitude box on the autopilot ( remember if you right click either side it counts up in 1000s :) ). Then take-off of your choosen runway , and passing a minimum of 400ft above ground level , press the " AP1 " button in , then RIGHT click on the altitude control knob. The aircraft will climb out on autopilot to 1500ft.While this is happening , RIGHT click the Heading Selector Knob and the box will change from " --- " to the current heading it is on. Select a left or right turn to the manual heading of your choice and the aircraft will follow.To get back , simply LEFT click both HDG and ALT selector knobs and that is like the VNAV and LNAV back on ( controlled by MCDU ).( Think of it as when you want the MCDU to control the aircraft , you LEFT click which pushes the button IN , giving control AWAY from you.When you want to do something manually , RIGHT click a autopilot selector and the button pulls TOWARDS you , this is like you TAKING control back. )I hope you understand what i am trying to say , it makes it easier to remember weather to PUSH or PULL the selector knobs.You can also get the aircraft to climhb or descend at the exact rate you want it to using the same principal on the V/S slector knobs ( to the right of the ALT selector knob. )Good Luck Calum

Guest dolbinau.

Thanks so far, Very helpful!I may have missed it, But what if I want to totally disengage heading follow from LNAV and Manual autopilot inputs? (Both gone), Yet not disengage the entire autopilot system so I can still have altitude hold, On a boeing aircraft you simply click the 'hdg' button and it disengages, how can I do this with the PSS a320? (Sorry if I missed it)

Guest Calum

Hello Cameron ,as far as i know you cant have one on and one off. With the new airbusses being promoted for " automation " , there would never really be a need for this in normal law flying.You can however have the autopilot off , but using the Flight Direct , fly the SID / STAR manually. Or of course just use the basic commands as described earlier , or just use full LNAV or VNAV.Calum

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

5%
    $1,300.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now