Sign in to follow this  
Guest noflyzone

backcourse ILS accidental track ?

Guest noflyzone

hello gentsmaybe this is a dumb question - is it possible to track the backcourse of the ILS and never get a glidescope capture, but keep getting the LOC capture until you get too far out and lose LOC altogether?I was in the wrong position to capture the ILS for Rwy25 - instead i maybe 5 miles SW of the opposite end of the Rwy (Rwy07), with my nose pointing about 240 degrees, when all of a sudden LOC captured, the aircraft turned and continued straight. I never captured GS.can someone explain what happened?cheers-mike

Guest Calum

Hello Mike ,Does the DME display in the bottom right of the ND when it captures the LOC ? Also does the G/S track on PFD and ND not show up at all , or is it there but the Magenta " o " is always at the top ?Then there is the obvious , make sure there isnt a near-by airport that you have mistyped the Frequency of into the ILS Freq.Try switching to the " ILS " ND screen using the EFIS control panel and let me know what it is you see happen :)Calum

Guest noflyzone

Calum,greetings,NO DME display after LOC captureGlidescope is there, but you are correct, magenta ball is always at the top.ILS was programmed for the airport and validated to be correct. I checked database in the MCDU and manually verified it was the proper one.I will try to duplicate the flight again and take further notescheers-mike

Guest Calum

Hello Mike ,It turns out you cant have a G/S on a backcourse ILS ( common sense lol , in case it is a different app. Gradient i suppose ). So you can track the LOC all the way in , but you must switch to visual or use the VASI.Sorry for the wasted time hehe :)Calum

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.