Sign in to follow this  
Guest Savage

A340 Center Feul Tanks

Guest Savage

Hi,So far, this has happened to me on each and every flight I attempted with a large feul load. I am currently in the middle of a flight from FACT to NZWN (on VATSIM -yay-), I'll use this flight as a example.My feul load: Left + Right wing tanks 100%, center tank had 30,430lbs, giving me a total of 194,520lbs for my flight (6112nm).The first 5 odd hours of my flight went without a hitch. Upper control panel indicated all feul tanks on, no x-feeds enabled(?). Upper ECAM had a CNTR TANK FEEDING (or something similar) message since take-off. Feul on the Center AS WELL as Wing tanks where droping, however Center tank was dropping allot faster than the wing tanks (as can be expected). My outer wing tanks where not touched, and they are still 100% at 6270lbs ea.For a LONG time (I am talking 2+ Hrs) my center tank got "stuck" on 80lbs. Dropping REALLY slowly. At 60lbs remaining in the center tanks, my engines cut out!!!! Power on all four engines drops COMPLETELY, and if I don't act quickly, the engines shuts down completely and I have to actually restart them. CNTR TANK FEEDING still displays at the UPPER ECAM at this stage as well. As you can all imagine, at FL370 my speed also increases DRASTICALLY. In a matter of seconds, I would reach 340+ knts.The only way I can get arround this, is to VERY quickly hurry to the top panel, and set LEFT, RIGHT, and XFER for the center tank off. IMMEDIATELY when switched off, CENTER TANK FEEDING is removed on the upper ECAM, and my engines regain power, coming back to the normal 83% for all four engines, lost / gained altitude is stablised, and my speed is reduced to the AP value (about 270knts).Is this normal? From what I understand, the outer wing tanks feeds the inner wing tanks and the wing tanks and center tanks are completely seperate from each other. But shouldn't the A340 automatically switch to the Wing tanks if and when the Center tank is empty? It would SEEM to me that my engines start loosing power because they don't receive any more feul from the center tank - again, to my understanding however, if this is the case then the Wing tanks should automatically feed the engines? Or, is there some X-Feed configuration required here?As I did say previously, this is happening on ALL my flights where feul is present in the center tanks... If I am doing something wrong, please ellaborate someone? :) Must I "disable" the center tanks manually when they run low on the AB340, or, is there some X-Feed configuration required here???Thanks, look forward to the replies.

Guest bjornhall

Hi Chris,Did you ever get that sorted? FWIW, I have made many flights long enough to have fuel in the center tank, and never had that problem. You should not have to do anything special, and crossfeeds should normally be left closed. I also noticed that it can take hours to 'use up' the last 100 lbs of center tank fuel (guess the scavenge pump isn't modeled?), but no ill effects came from that.So, it should work! It makes me wonder, do you have all fuel pumps on? Because if only the center pumps are on, the engines should behave exactly as you mention.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

5%
    $1,300.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now