Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nimbus

Increasing the Lift Scalar

Guest Nimbus

Hello everyone,I've read posts in the past about changing the lift scalar on the PSS A320 so that the pitch on approach isn't as high. But when I open the Aircraft cfg. I can't find anwhere I can make a change to the lift scalar.I find that often on approach, even when flying at or above the computed vref, I'm getting 7 degrees up or more even with flaps 4. I've input the correct GW and fuel, winds etc. I thought that perhaps at times the issue was that I was landing with too much fuel, but the FMC should be taking the additional weight into consideration when computing vref.Is anyone else experiencing abnormally high pitch rates, and if so, how did you correct them?Thanks!

Guest vrandar

You can add the lift_scalar figures into the flaps.0 and flaps.1 sec tions. In my case for the A320-232 the relevant sections are as follows:[Flaps.0]type=1span-outboard = 0.8extending-time = 21.0flaps-position.0 = 0.0flaps-position.1 = 7.0flaps-position.2 = 14.0flaps-position.3 = 21.0flaps-position.4 = 28.0flaps-position.5 = 35.0damaging-speed = 233.0blowout-speed = 250.0lift_scalar = 0.85drag_scalar = 0.8pitch_scalar = 1.1system_type = 1 //Hydraulic[flaps.1] type=2 // 1 - tail, 2 - leadspan-outboard = 0.8extending-time = 18flaps-position.0 = 0flaps-position.1 = 0flaps-position.2 = 5flaps-position.3 = 10flaps-position.4 = 10flaps-position.5 = 27damaging-speed = 260blowout-speed = 270lift_scalar = 0.4drag_scalar = 0.3pitch_scalar = 1.2system_type = 1 //Hydraulic

Guest Nimbus

Thanks, Just to confirm, will this work for the original PSS A320? I ask because the Aircraft cfg. with the shipped add-on doesn't have a flaps.1 section.

Guest Nimbus

I don't mean to belabour this issue, but I wonder if the high pitch on approach might be something I'm doing wrong procedurally. I enter the correct GW and fuel, approach (weather) information etc. but I notice that when, for example, I select flaps 1, the aircraft is already 5 degrees nose up, and flaps 1 is just below the maximum flap speed for flaps 1???I also notice that when coupled to the ILS, the 320 is around 7 degrees nose up and always below the GS indicator, almost like its "fighting" to get back to the proper GS altitude. If I increase speed, say 10 knots above the FMS dictated Vref, the 320 actually allows the GS indicator to "pass by" and then you are above the GS and have to rapidly decrease speed, or disconnect the autopilot and fly manually to remain on profile.Any help with this (if adjusting the Aircraft cfg. is not the solution) would be greatly appreciated.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.