Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Approach flaps settings and attitude

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi folks,A320 rookie here!Can anyone please explain which settings should i use during approach? Further, wy my plane keeps flying with nose up attitude at 200Kts when FMC allows 180Kts in clean configuration?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Guest Calum

Hello Luigi ,Well , it is never the same for every flight , as to when to adjust your flaps / speed / gear. Lets take if from TOD , Top Of Descent ...You set the ALT selector down to your appraoch altitude ( or given by ATC ) , lets say 15000ft for a start , so take the ALT selector on the FCU ( Autopilot controls ) down to 15000 , then , at the small white arrow pointing down ( TOD ) , left click the centre of the ALT selector , to put your aircraft into a managed descent ( MCDU will keep speed limit , navigation and control descent ).... Down 15000ft , cleared down 2400ft with ( probably ) radar vectors for ILS ... ( just set 2400 in ALT and left click the centre )Down passing 3000 , you notice on the ND ( Navigation Display ) , on your programmed route up ahead , there is a small purple (D) , this is your decelerate point , the point at which the autothrust will automatically start reducing speed prior to approach ( from 240-250 down to about 200 , then down to 180 , then VAPP ). By this time you are at 2400 , deceleration is in progress and you have ( probably / hopefully ) been told to intercept the LOC / ILS and report established. Now , the speed is down to 200 , but just above it , do you the the small brown = sign on the speed tape ? ( the airspeed on the Primary Flight Display ) , this is your max flap speed , if you put the next stage of flap down , that is where the " red bars " will drop to.Just as you are establishing on the LOC / ILS , and once you have set flap stage 2 configuration , the speed falls again automatically to VAPP ( Approach Speed ). As it falls , you will notice again , the small brown = follow you as the speed drops past 160 and 150. ( depending ) This is a very good guide as to when you can lower your next stage flap , because you know the flap/slat retraction speed ( red bars ) will only fall to where the last brown = was on the speed tape.Finally , call established , and one " dot " on the ILS dispaly ( on your PFD or ND ) , set final flap config ( speed permitting ) , and as you intercept the G/S fully , set gear down ( or at 7.0DME or 5.0DME depending ).Speed will be around VAPP by now , perfectly on the ILS with full flap and gear lowered.Close to the threshold speed drops ( probably not noticable ) to VREF , your speed over the threshhold , just in time for the autopilot to flare and smothly touchdown ( or you smoothly touchdown , however is controlling the aircraft :) )So basically , to help with flaps extension you need to ...Watch the small brown = signs on the Airspeed tape , and only set next stage flap once below the = on speed.For Gear ... , lower it as you intercept G/S , at 7.0DME , or at 5.0DME.Both Flap extension and Gear lowering will depend on Weight , Winds , Traffic around you / Terrain around you and the pilot / atc preference , but the above is a good guide.Remember , what you do on one approach , might be different on another ( different conditions ) , so dont be worried if you lower the last stage flap below G/S capture or something like that , its the way you want to do it ;)Good Luck Calum

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Calum,and thank you very much for detailed instructions.I have a question though: since i usually flight vectored approaches with Radar Contact, first, it's sometimes difficult to find that purple D on the ND; further, what i should do while i'm vectored through different headings/altitudes? Should i simply activate the approach phase (after all values entered)?Thank you very much againLuigi ;-)

Guest Calum

Sorry Luigi ,I cant see what is wrong with that picture ?The G/S and LOC are captured and being worked through , i am geussing flap stage 3 is in , and about to put full stage , in that picture , there is no reason the aircraft should not perform a correct autoland.Notes :A/P1 and A/P2 are onSwitch Selected Speed to Manages Speed and let it prepare itself perfectly.Calum

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Sorry Calum,i had to look down (SHIFT+ENTER) cause i couldn't see the rwy; is that nose up attitude that i do not like :-(cheersLuigi ;-)

Guest Phoenix_7

to adjust the viewopen panel.cfg with notepadlook for this sectionVIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.0, 0.0, 0.0change 3.0 to 9.0exit and saveJohnPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Do the following at your own risk, no warranty implied or given, your mileage may vary.Add the following entries to your aircraft.cfg's under [Flaps.0]: for the A320 there should be an entry as follows:lift_scalar=1.42(Can use same entry for the 319 but I don't, I found it was the 320 and 321 that needed the most tweaking.) for the A321 it should be:lift_scalar=0.926 unless you are using the iFDG/PSS merge when these settings are not necessary.Jay EklundCAT V First Officer KDENhttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/812321/764.png

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Jay,thank you very much for the precious feedbacktake careLuigi ;-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.