Sign in to follow this  

WTF?!! Help!

Can anyone explain this to me? The entire world in FS2002 Pro has swung 35 degrees to the right!! For example Runway 24 at EGCC Manchester should be on a heading of 237 but it's now on 271!!The GPS also displays this problem ie with 'North up' selected, a course of 180 displays as 214!I came as a surprise to find myself streaking across the grass at Manchester after lining up for take off in bad visibility from my instruments!!!Anyone ever had this or know what's caused it? Short of the Earth spinning out of it's orbit I can't think why it would happen!

HiGo into the Realism menu and disable gyro drift.

Thanks for your suggestion but it's not gyro drift, I'm a qualified pilot in real life so I know all about that, and I never have it set in FS2002 cos it's a pain in the #####! Besides, it's affecting everything in the entire program including the GPS so it can't be gyro drift cos they don't work off gyros, it even gives erroneous headings on the shift z heading display. So unless the north pole is now located in New England or something, it has to be some sort of config program-related thing!I don't want to have to re-install everything again, so I wondered if anyone could tell me what config part is screwed up to make it do this so I can correct it. I don't want to have to re-do all my AI flights and install all my aircraft again, it would take forever!

HiI see what you mean I agree about the whacky drift tendencies as well.Try deleting the FS2002.cfg file and let it rebuild when you restart the program.You will have to reset some of your preferences but it might help with your problem.Have you played around with the Lat/Lon settings in the international settings?You might want to look at that as well.I fly as well ppl/sel and am working on a ifr now.Hope this helps

Tried that too. Didn't work. When I start a flight it displays the correct heading on the instruments for about 3 seconds, then it switches to 360 degrees after that. I might try saving a flight with the aircraft pointing towards what I know to be 360 and see if it resets it to 360. that might cure it. Probably not knowing my luck!Good luck with your instrument rating BTW, but you should try aerobatics instead, it's much more fun than pottering around wearing a pair of silly fogged up glasses while someone shouts at you LOL!Gotta love spinning, I could do that all day, well at least until 1500ft AGL anyway!

Have you installed any addons recently? If so try removing them. If nothing else works, looks like you'll have to reinstall it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't do anything either. Looks like I'm re-installing it, Yawn...

Guest Barney1

I doubt if it's a case of the earth spinning! So, let's concentrate on what makes the aircraft face the proper direction.Is it all aircraft? Try a default one for instance.Is it at all runways? Try different parts of the world.Is the 34 degree shift consistent everywhere?Has your joystick, or whatever you use for controller, been calibrated correctly? Are button assignments correct?Have you perhaps a key sticking?Is your sim set-up correct for your part of the world?Have you introduced any add-ons which may affect Afcad or AI changes?Those are a few quick ones off the top.As for re-installing the sim, you will not lose any of your add-ons. Any *.cfg files you have that have been modified or altered can be temporarily re-named and will not be removed during the process. Whenever a program is un-installed, it can only remove those folders/files which it recognizes from the initial default installation.Good luck and please let us know if you solve this thing!

Thanks for all the suggestions you offered, however, I've already bitten the bullet and re-installed the thing. I did copy gauges, aircraft and AI/Flight plans so I could just replace them on the re-install and that seems to have cured things and didn't take too long. In answer to your question though, yes it was the entire world affected, all to the same degree (34 of them to be precise LOL). I checked it by flying two medium haul flights to Southern Spain and to Czech Republic, very confusing with ATC saying one thing re runway headings and them all actually being different. Wouldn't want to do that too often! I guess AFCAD must have freaked out somehow, I did recently apply a file to correct taxiway use at Manchester with SimFlyers EGCC scenery, so perhaps that was it but I guess we'll never know (courtesy of my sorted out re-install :-) ) unless it does it again, in which case I'll be digging out my Fly 2 installation disks LOL!

Its an easter egg.simulation of the shift of the earth on its axis that many prophets have forcast :)