Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Deceleration point

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi there,it is necessary to have planned a final approach in FMC to see that purple D on navigational display?Often i do not follow a FMC approach but Radar Contact vectors instead: so no D at all and when activating FMC approach phase won't be able to control speeds...Can anyone please help?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Guest vrandar

No it isn't, but you shouldn't have any problem with the speeds if you use selected mode which at this stage of the flight you would probably be using anyway. I frequently elete the centre fix if it isn't in the correct locatin and this has the saame effect. But it causes no problem that I can see.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Rob,>No it isn't, but you shouldn't have any problem with the>speeds if you use selected mode which at this stage of the>flight you would probably be using anywayI use MANAGED SPEED (left click) all the time, especially during final stages of flight to take advantage of FMC deceleration>I frequently elete the centre fix if it isn't in the correct >locatin and this has the saame effectWhat you mean?I do not know if you use Radar Contact but when approximately 20 nm off the airport they give you vectors for the downwind leg, so i'll never match last waypoints in filed flightplan...Thanks for replyLuigi ;-)

Guest vrandar

>I use MANAGED SPEED (left click) all the time, especially>during final stages of flight to take advantage of FMC>decelerationIt's vital to know how to control using selected heading/speed/altitude. I am always at the relevant speeds according to the STAR and BA's SOPs before reaching the deceleration point. I'm not saying you should do it this way but I do recommend having a thorough knowledge of how to operate the aircraft using selected modes.>>I frequently delete the centre fix if it isn't in the correct>>location and this has the same effect>>What you mean?>I do not know if you use Radar Contact but when approximately>20 nm off the airport they give you vectors for the downwind>leg, so i'll never match last waypoints in filed>flightplan...No I don't know Radar Contact, unless I am testing flight dynamics I fly online with VATSIM. I also use reeal world charts which is why the CF Centre Fix usually needs to be deleted. PSS always put it 10 miles from the threshold and this isn't always the right place when using charts and real world approach procedures. By deleting the CF fix the Ddeceleration point is also deleted but with proper descent planning this should not cause any problem at all.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Rob,did a short test flight in A320 and FMC approach phase (different stages deceleration) worked just fine.Perhaps the trouble is aircraft specific; when i activate and confirm approach phase in A321 nothing happens and speed doesn't slow down to the green dot (clean config). And i have to slow manually.cheersLuigi ;-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.