Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flying Pete

How to put airways into the MCDU?

Guest Flying Pete

Hi,Rather than inserting each and every waypoint of a flightplan into the MCDU, it would be much faster to just insert airways - any help how to do that?Thanks,Peter

Guest NormanB

Lets look at a flight from Sydney, Australia, down to Melbourne.The routing takes us from SY VOR, using the WOL9 departure from rwy34L, then from WOL, along the Q38 airway to join the NAREL2 arrival for Melbourne.Once you have entered your airports YSSY/YMML click on f-plan and then YSSY for the departure, select Rwy34L choosing the WOL9 departure. This takes us North from the field before turning to the South to the WOL VOR.Click on WOL. On the right side of the page you see VIA/GOTO.In the scratchpad type NAREL/Q38 (this is the Q38 airway and we want to get off at NAREL for our arrival into Melbourne).By typing NAREL/Q38 and then clicking the LSK next to VIA/GOTO this will then tell the MCDU to display a confirmation page which will show all of the waypoints along the Q38 airway between WOL and NAREL.You are prompted to accept (insert) or reject (erase) this entry. Click insert.If you scroll through your plan you will see a discontinuity after NAREL. We can delete that.Finally, choose the arrival by clicking LSK6L (the bottom left key) next to YMML. Click arrival, choose ILS16. You will notice that the arrival lists the NAREL1. This is as close as we need for the purpose of this explanation. Choose NAREL1 and insert.That is you done, using airways for this flight.If for example you were wishing to continue along another airway all you do is the same as above using WOL, only this time with you exit point (our example uses NAREL) narel -> q38/ml then use ml -> h129/dosel then use dosel -> y59/sy which would take us all the way back to where we started.

Guest Flying Pete

Norman,Thanks a lot!Peter

Guest claudefmh

>Sir,Ired your post but it doesn't work for me. I tried to make the tutorial flight but when I try to program th MCDU notably when I try to rnter UA25/BHD after having insert exmor I have the following message AWY/WPT MISMATCHCOuld you please help me?ThankFLorianLets look at a flight from Sydney, Australia, down to>Melbourne.>>The routing takes us from SY VOR, using the WOL9 departure>from rwy34L, then from WOL, along the Q38 airway to join the>NAREL2 arrival for Melbourne.>>Once you have entered your airports YSSY/YMML click on f-plan>and then YSSY for the departure, select Rwy34L choosing the>WOL9 departure. This takes us North from the field before>turning to the South to the WOL VOR.>>Click on WOL. On the right side of the page you see>VIA/GOTO.>In the scratchpad type NAREL/Q38 (this is the Q38 airway and>we want to get off at NAREL for our arrival into Melbourne).>>By typing NAREL/Q38 and then clicking the LSK next to VIA/GOTO>this will then tell the MCDU to display a confirmation page>which will show all of the waypoints along the Q38 airway>between WOL and NAREL.>>You are prompted to accept (insert) or reject (erase) this>entry. >>Click insert.>>If you scroll through your plan you will see a discontinuity>after NAREL. We can delete that.>>Finally, choose the arrival by clicking LSK6L (the bottom left>key) next to YMML. Click arrival, choose ILS16. You will>notice that the arrival lists the NAREL1. This is as close as>we need for the purpose of this explanation. Choose NAREL1>and insert.>>That is you done, using airways for this flight.>>If for example you were wishing to continue along another>airway all you do is the same as above using WOL, only this>time with you exit point (our example uses NAREL) narel ->>q38/ml then use ml -> h129/dosel then use dosel -> y59/sy>which would take us all the way back to where we started.

Guest NormanB

NAV data has changed since the tutorials were written.Are you able to follow the Sydney - Melbourne route ok?

Guest claudefmh

Thank you for your answer.I have the latest Navdata and the arways are the same. I tried the BAV tutorial and encountered the same problem. I will try with the sydney-Melbourne route.In both tutorial I used the seemed to have had the same problem.arways/waypoint mismatchregardsFlorian

Guest vrandar

Florian, which BAV tutorial were you referring to (possibly a very old one of mine?) and which airways were you trying to put in?

Guest satt

G'day guys, Ive just tried to add airways and get the same missmatch error as the other bloke.I tried the YSSY/YMML route sugested by Norman.My current data base for the MCDU is 0506.Any help would be great thanks.Satt.

Guest dt1951

When you select the waypoint using the LSK, and the next page comes up, I believe you enter the data as : route/waypoint. I found that out after a few tries. An example: "J91/GUP". When you are switched back to the flight plan page, you must select "INSERT", found in the bottom right of the page. Otherwise, your route does not contain the data you just added.Dan Ward

Hey, the PSS installer i believe downloads the latest NAVDATA and in regard to the tutorial flight from the UK, UA25 intersecting through BHD has changed to UN864, try UN864/BHDYou can view the South UK Upper airways chart of airspace at this websitehttp://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/26030201.PDFAnd the North can be found herehttp://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/26030202.PDF

G-MIDY :-scatterAMD 3000+ | 6800GT | 1GB GeiL |

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Guest FedEx_4

I can't enter jetways into the MCDU either. For example KBOS to KTPA. There is no sid so next waypoint is Nelie, Carmel (CMK), and then J75. I want to end J75 at taylor so push the button next to Carmel and enter Tay/J75 and push the button next to via/goto and I get airway mismatch. This is very frustrating, can someone please comment.KK

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.