Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy_YXU

Using WideFS anyone wanna help me?

Guest Andy_YXU

Hi, just wondering if anyone was willing to give me some step by step (well not exactly I am not 100% computer dumb) :-), but I never play network so not sure, what i red in instructions isn't quite clear to me... here are my system infos:-------FS2002 COMPUTER-----------Pentium 4 2.53GHz 512KB 533 FSB512 MB DDR-RAM PC-3200 @ 400 MHz FSBAsus P4PE + LANGForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB RAMSeagate 60GB HDD------Other Computer----------Pentium 3 866MHz384 MB RAM PC-133Asus CUSL2GForce2 256 GTS 64MB RAM2x 20GB Quantumsa) Both computers are running WinXP-Pro:( Both have D-Link Network CARDS 10/100 DFE-530 by which I think I am to connect them bothc) First computer also has its own on-mobo LAN that I conected to Cable modem so I think that one needs 2 cards so it's gonna have the LAN on-mobo + the D-Link network cardI don't even know what kinf of cable to buy as in would CAS2.5 be better then CAS3.0 or viceversa... well I know it's gotta be networking cable :-lol notjust any power cord :-)Any help would be appriciated, you may e-mail me if you wish.or post here.Oh yes what I plan on running on second computer is RADAR CONTACT and FSMETEO or ActiveSky something like that...Thank you for your help.Andy

You have the makings of your LAN. Basically what you need to talk to the modem and the computers is a Router. You can use Microsofts WinXP software to act as a Router but I recommend not doing it that way. I prefer to have an external router. The router provides the IP addresses for each computer that is on your LAN and also interfaces with your cable/DSL modem. Here is a schematic of my system:Cable Modem --> Router --> Switch --> Four Lines --> ComputersI recommend buying a Router/Switch (4 port), if you are thinking about wireless get a Wireless/Router/Switch (4 port).If I understand your system:Cable Modem --> Computer 1 --> Cable* --> Computer 2For computer 1, you need to use some router software. You may need to use a **Crossover Cable** between Computer 1 and Computer 2. I am not certain about that. You could try a Straight Through Cable and see if it works.The key is that you need a Router to assign IP addresses.

Guest Andy_YXU

thanks for your help i got them both working seems pretty good, actually i only conected them as : "cabel modem"-"computer1"-"crossover cable"-"computer2"works great everything on both only now the hard part to make the wideFS work the network windows did about evertyhing for me so that was down a hill, but with the wide fs i am gonna have to read up carefully.Andy

A crossover cable is fine in your application. All you need to do is set IP addresses on both computers. Then on the server set UseTCPIP=yesin the WideServer.iniand on the clientUseTCPIP=yesServerIPAddr=a.b.c.din the WideClient.iniwhere a.b.c.d is the IP address of the server PC.Assuming you can ping each computer (so you know your protocol stack is working), that is all there is to it. Of course, if you want to use the second computer to access the internet via the first and the cable modem, you will need to establish a proxy or NAT on the first computer, and set the first computer to route for the second, so that any address that the second computer can't find using HOSTS or internal resolver will be sent via the first compueter to the cable modem.scott s..

Thanks Scott for jumping.Your last paragraph is why I use the external router - let it do all the work!:-beerchug

Guest Andy_YXU

Thank you guys for help, all turned out to be a lot easier then I though :-)All and WideFS are working just fine.ThanksAndy