Sign in to follow this  
Guest gramaticus

PSS SID/STAR Format

Guest gramaticus

Good Morning Team.I'd like to ask a question as to how the Lat/Long positions are computed in the PSS Format in describing them within a SID or STAR.An example is the EME NDB 353.50, which according to Aerad Charts is 524958N 0011140W.I'm using the latest AIRAC cycle 0506When I checked the DAT file for the STAR (I used the EME1A - not used anymore, but I can't get an update) the position is described as 52.832687(N) -001.194570(W)What makes the 2 sets of co-ordinates so different.Best RgdsPaul

Guest stang

Hi Paul>An example is the EME NDB 353.50, which according to Aerad>Charts is 524958N 0011140W.>When I checked the DAT file for the STAR (I used the EME1A ->not used anymore, but I can't get an update) the position is>described as 52.832687(N) -001.194570(W)>What makes the 2 sets of co-ordinates so different.There are several ways to describe a Lat or a Long. Examples:Degrees Minutes Decimal Seconds, 30 23 45.34Degrees Minutes Decimal rounded Seconds, 30 23 45Degrees Decimal Minutes, 30 23.75567 (seconds + 45.34 / 60)Decimal Degrees, 30.39593 (minutes + 23.75567 / 60)The above are all the same point. (The division by 60 converts the number into a decimal number.)There is also 302345.34 where the minutes and seconds are just added after the degrees without any spaces.The DAT file uses the Decimal degrees while the Aerad is using Degrees Minutes rounded Seconds without any spaces.PSS uses the decimal degrees.Hope this clears it up.Regards.TerryPlanePath

Hello PaulHope to have the EGNX stars updated for the next cycle, as you know they were big changes, and I was unable to get them done in time. I'm working very long hours at the moment.I have several sidstar files in progress at the moment for the PSS aircraft, they will be uploaded to the Navdata site and available direct from me over the next couple of months.Hope you found the files I emailed to you earlier of use.Simon

Guest gramaticus

Terry.Much obliged for the info. Now me understand !!!Best RgdsPaul.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.