Sign in to follow this  

Red Instrument Lights in C-172SP

In FS2000, the default Cessna had red instrument lights for flying at night. In FS2002 Pro, my 172 has the entire panel lit up like I have a dome light on. I can press ctrl-L and the cockpit lights go off entirely, which is not desired either. Do I have something set wrong in the simulator? I am expecting the instruments to go to the dim red lighting. Is this just the way it is in FS2002 Cessnas?DM

Guest RiddlePilot

In real life the 172SP no longer has the red dome light. Research has found that red light is bad for night flying due to the fact that it filters out some important colors on sectional charts (MOA borders and Class E rings for example). The aircraft that I fly have backlit gauges and a small white light strip just under the glareshield. There is a white map light mounted on the bottom side of the yoke for, well, reading maps.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Additionally, DM, the new 172's have a band of lights along the underside of the glareshield to provide illumination across the face of the panel. I'm currently training in 172R models (1997-2003), which have this setup._____________________________Jeff S. KDTW

I am familair with this light setup. I am training in a 2002 172SP. (I love all of the new generation Cessnas)I find the light in FS2002 to be a little bright. I was just wondering what my options are.Dennis