Sign in to follow this  
Guest pylon101

Sorry, still cannot engage APP

Guest pylon101

It's a very good question. All sample plans give flight plans right to particular runways in auto mode. Which is fun.But most airports are too busy to allow this entertainment.So the question is: how to disable flight plan and manage the a/c in IFR mode whenever the situation requires. I have the same problem with engaging LOC and APR modes.Thanks.

Guest Maddon

Hi I have flown many times using the A340 and have just completed a 5hr flight to Grantley Adams ,Barbados. Problem I had was that I could not engage LOC / APP either and landed manually.BTW this has not happened before.Ark

Guest pylon101

So we are discussing all this while waiting for a response from moderators. Okay. We can wait. We are talking about a situation when switching to IFR mode. Which happens very often - mainly due to weather conditions.Probably the initial flight plan should be closed by some action. For example, by deleting the arrival point. Or typing "end of flight plan" before the point where we are to switch to IFR mode.If AP is engaged - flight plan and some related functions of MCDU remain also engaged.Just an idea.

Guest pylon101

Well, I appeared to figure out what's to be done to engage LOC APR mode and switch to manual or IFR.The flight plan (it's remaining part) should be deleted by entering "End of F.Plan" to all remaining points. Including destination airport. Check out RAD section to be sure that ILS frequency is correct.Also check landing profile.As long as Autothrottle and Autopilot are engaged all those modes of MDCU remain active.With correct ILS and landing profile we can land in auto-mode safely and happily - without flight plan.It is critically important for areas like KIAD or KLAX where ATIS start working too late to make deliberate corrections in the flight plan. And - mandatory for airports with ILS - but without ATIS.It also solves the issue of x2 and x4. With any flight plan engaged the model doesn't fly in time compressed mode.I would be grateful to get any helpful inputs.

Guest igorland

I am flying A330 carefully following the manual. However, when I reach the approcah stage, I still cannot engage either LOC or APP. Other preliminary steps are taken in accordance with the manual. I always have to land manually. Not that I object to it, but something is not working here.Also, I was retarding yesterday, pressed "-" to engage idle throttle. Instead, it turned on TOGA and set the throttle all the way up. I screwed up somewhere here. Should I have disengaged A/T manually first?Thanks!

Guest pylon101

Please disregard my previous idea of disengaging MDCU. After re-flying test flights and flying a couple of dozens of flights I guess the following will be closer to reality:1) The working mode of MDCU is needed all the time. It's needed for activization of approach profile and keeping ILS frequences in memory.2) When you prepare flight plan (I simply use export function of FS Navigator- to FS9 - and then to MDCU) - you definitely can't know what landing runway will be used. So the plan leads just to an aiport.3)At T/D point you start decending - while waiting for ATIS range or Tower range if ATIS not available.4) As soon as you get instructions (or just figure it by using ATIS info) - enter ILS approach to MDCU; confirm change of plan by "insert". Check ILS frequency in RADNAV of MDCU. Edit approach mode: speeds, wind, pressure, temp, DH.5) Closer to airport switch HDG to manual mode (right click)- and fly to ILS to intercept LOC beam at 30-40 degree.Alternatively you can " pause" - and compose a new final stage of the flight plan. Sure there are plans for each airport of the world - I just fly all around the world.6) When time comes (see tutorial flights) - engage approach mode.7) Close to ILS localizer push ILS (it may show a wrong frequency - it means - too early - wait until ILS frequency appears), then LOC - then APR - then 2nd AP.8) If some kind of vicious weather is observed - right click one by one all AP functions: IAS, HDG, ALT, VS - they will be in manual modes.Or disengage AP and AT as a last resort.And take my advice: fly tutorial flights for 2-3 times.Happy landings!

Guest Hawkeyeted

If you are having trouble getting the LOC or APP to engage, it is most likely that you have fiddles with the NAV 1 settings in the RAD page of the MCDU.Rule #1: NEVER FIDDLE WITH NAV 1 SETTING ON THE RAD PAGE! LET THE MCDU DO IT FOR YOU!I'm not sure if it is a bug, or the "real deal", but manually entering the ILS freq and course into NAV #1 on the RAD page will render localizer/slope intercept usless.I promise it will work 100% of the time if you adhear to "Rule #1".

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.