Sign in to follow this  
Guest bgahan

Airbus Dumping Fuel?

Guest bgahan

Hi Everyone,Not sure if everyone saw the JetBlue issue today in the LA area. I'm curious to know if the Airbus can physically dump fuel? I thought I heard a JetBlue pilot say this wasn't possible. Is this true?BrianPHX

Guest pylon101

Dumping fuel system is an option for A32X. Most companies don't order it. It was discussed at avsim.com general forum.This also relates to Boeing-737.The question remained if it is installed on long-range aircraft.

There is absoulutely ZERO option for dumping fuel in any of the A318-A321 family. The cost is immesureable not to mention the additional weight of equipment. It is not a necessity because the max takeoff weight is close to the max landing weight, so dumping fuel wouldnt be necessary. JetBlue chose to burn fuel because they wanted the least amount of fuel necessary to land with to prevent any fires.

Guest pylon101

If we had responses like yours on this forum we would have easier lives. Assumption is the shortest way to failure.Still I heard from a Boeing source that it is an option on 737. I may be wrong though :-))

Thank you,Ive been an aircraft maintenance tech for JetBlue for a few years now, so Ive definitely picked up on a few things. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

I'm late to the discussion, but I'd like to jump in anyway...There are many short- to mid-range aircraft which do not have fuel dump capability. Some Boeings have it, some Airbus have it - but not all. Other airplanes which cannot dump fuel overboard - DC-9, CRJ-200, B757-200...The fuel jettison equipment was originally required by the FAA when the max takeoff weight was more than 105% of it's max landing weight. Nowadays, the fuel jettison requirement states that if your aircraft cannot meet a certain climb criteria at max weight, it will require the equipment.The original requirement caused older long haul planes (DC-10, L1011, 747) to have the equipment, but not the smaller ones. Even now, longhaul heavy aircraft that cannot meet a certain climb specification require the dumping ability.The newer requirement causes heavy aircraft (747, A340) to need the equipment, but not the smaller, "more powerful" planes like the 737, A320, and 757. Such smaller planes have the 'luxury' of having a better climb capability with a heavy load (good engines!), so the FAA regulation does not apply to them.As mentioned above, the ability to dump fuel overboard isn't even an option on many of the mentioned airplanes. The variants and differences in airframes and engines don't push the planes into needing the equipment, and because of that, they don't offer the option! Late entry, but hopefully helps to clear things up.-Greg/not professing to be an expert.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.