Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airbuster

Hand flying

Guest Airbuster

Hello!I have a question. Normally when I take off I hit AP1 and activate the flight plan in the MCDU and it's all good. Proper speed and ascent maintained. However, I would like to hand fly the take-off and maybe the first two waypoints. The problem is that my speed goes through the roof when I click the levers back to CL detent. I thought maybe if I pulled the speed knob towards me at around 250 kts that it would cease speeding up and maintain steady. However, it continues and it goes well past 300 kts in very little time. I watched a flight deck video from an A321 and I thought it was so cool how the F/O flew the first ten minutes after takeoff by hand, following the flight director. I want to do the same thing, but without suffering structural disintegration. I guess what I'm hoping for is a speed setting similar to that which one enjoys when in Approach phase, in essence never dipping below the minium speed for the current configuration. I am spending lots of time reading the manuals (almost worshipping them) but I have not been able to work this one out.Any help you guys could give would help me greatly!Thank you so muchKristofer

Guest vrandar

After takeoff you need to keep to V2+10 which is shown on the PFD as the magenta triangle. It is easy to shoot through this to a higher speed but you must control the pitch to keep at V2+10. Often it helps to set the pitch trim (the End key on my keyboard) to -2.0UP.Make sure also that you have set the standard 250/FL100 speed constraint. Do this by clicking on the LSK on the right of a waypoint under FL100 and entering 250/FL100 at LSK2L. But ubntil you go to managed speed make sure the speed you have set on the FCU is 250 (and pull for Selected Speed).

Guest Airbuster

Many thanks for your quick reply, Rob.I have made sure that I'm on track with the magenta triangle and that my speed constraints are set, but the problem is that I have to maintain an excessive climb rate (upwards of 7000)to keep the triangle centered on the speed bar. Amber is the color currently in style on my PFD. The departure I'm doing right now is not a SID but a MCDU generated fix 2.5 miles straight out from the runway, and I have to be at 1600 feet when reaching that point, but keeping the magenta triangle happy catapults me well past the desired altitude, and well past 300 kts.Do airbus pilots always take off with flex setting followed by climb setting, or do they manually adjust the thrust?

Guest Airbuster

Sorry, Rob. I realized I had zero cargo, zero pax and a third of the fuel tanks full. No wonder the plane could deal with a climb rate like the one I reported. I have now tried with a full complement of passengers and luggage and the aircraft is taking to the skies in a very graceful manner, within speed constraints. Thanks for your very good reply, despite the limited info you had to go on.Kristofer

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.