Sign in to follow this  
Guest Toke

When to add weather dependent data into FMC?

Guest Toke

Dear fellow virtual pilots,This is not really the correct forum for this kind of question, but it is derived from using the PSS Airbus Pro package, so I post it anyway and hope for some understanding and luck. I

Guest vrandar

I think what you are asking her is when do you receive and enter STAR and landing runway info. Often there is a preferred runway system, at Heathrow for example, which gives a pilot a clue to the landing runway before departure, but most sometimes, or even often, the landing runway will not be known until well after departure.Weather info for the arrival airport is available to the pilot during the cruise so it is not "too close" as you put it. And with FS9 we have ASV real weather from www.hifisim.com which will give you plenty of information to determine the runway to use for landing and thus the STAR.

What is the preferred method of communicating a SID or STAR to FS9 ATC when flying Offline and using FS9 ATC? And how is SID/STAR communicated to ATC in real world commercial aviation and while flying VATSIM? With FS9 (Offline) seems to me that the only way is either to ignore FS ATC ~:( or to cancel IFR for those portions of the route. Is there a more graceful (Preferred) method?Thanks, Ken Boardman

Ken Boardman

Guest dt1951

You may not know what the arrival landing runway is until you are in your approach phase. This can be when you are turned over to the APPROACH controller. They will give you vectors to your runway and also tell you if the approach is an ILS or visual. You should have plenty of time to program the runway data into the MCDU. If there is no ATC I check the weather at the destination airport while I am on the last leg in the flight prior to the entry point into the applicable STAR. You can program that in when you have the weather data and have determined what runway you want to use.

Guest michi

Or you can select a different runway for landing. FS9 ATC has the function of letting you request a different approach and runway. The runway selection does however reflect on the wind direction, however, in EDDF, for example instead of RWY 25R you can select 25L.Also to fly a SID or STAR: The way I do it for the SID is that I program the waypoints in the FS flight plan so that it corresponds to my FMC. I dont know how to solve the problem with the STAR, I just follow the Radar vectors from ATC.Flying is also about being flexible. Cheers!

I suspect that in the real world pilots have a routine procedurefor communicating their desire to fly a STAR to Approach Controlor perhaps Approach Control informs the pilots of all approachingaircraft that a specific STAR is currently "in effect" fora "duty runway" or there wouldn't be much purpose for STARs.I am very interested in finding out how this is normallyaccomplished. To real world pilots (by necessity) it must bea very routine deal. FSNAV and many of the FS9 add on aircraft includea nice FMC/MCDU, etc. and provide SID/STAR database for them.It would be fun to actually be able to program a SID and STARinto an FMC and then push the magic button and witness theA319 (or other) faithfully following a STAR all the way tothe Threshold while the pilot (me perhaps) does nothing buttmake changes to airspeed > as directed :)Ken Boardman

Ken Boardman

Guest vrandar

The correct STAR is usually fairly obvious providing you have STAR charts and know your arrival runway and the direction you are coming from. If you don't have the charts you can still work out the STAR to use by trial and error on the Airbus MCDU.Get the PSS A319 and you'll see how straightforward this all this. But one thing: STARS do not take you right down to the threshold - you'll need approach plates as well. See the attached Heathrow STARs courtesy of Vatsim.Finally, separation is the duty of ATC not the individual pilot both in the real world and when flying online on VATSIM (unless there is no ATC at that time on VATSIM).

Guest vrandar

>Also to fly a SID or STAR: The way I do it for the SID is that>I program the waypoints in the FS flight plan so that it>corresponds to my FMC. I dont know how to solve the problem>with the STAR, I just follow the Radar vectors from ATC.What problem? You should be entering your SIDs and STARs through the F-PLAN page in the PSS MCDU. You can program themn manually but that seems like a lot of hard work when they are already in the navdata database (providing there have been no changes of course).

OK then, perhaps I should rephrase the question(s) :) >With regard to communicating SID and STAR info AND >With regard to "Real World Aviation", Offline (FSATC),and Online (VATSIM) >>1. It's about any (if any) communication (when and how) that occurs between pilots and ATC regarding the SID (or STAR)to be flown. When (and who normally) initiates this communication (pilot or ATC) and when does it normally occur >> OR does the pilot simply program the FMC (or MCDU, etc.) with the SID and STAR that is most applicable to the EXPECTED runway and then "fly it" unless/until told otherwise by ATC? OR,2. Are there instances when any of the above stuff couldoccur > depending on circumstances? 3. Is there a "normal" communication routine between pilots and ATC regarding SIDs and STARs or is it NORMALLY confusing and chaotic >> demanding max flexibility from all involved (understanding of course that PIC has final say, be~ins how his/her hands are on the controls an' all:))?4. Does ATC ever even care what SID or STAR any pilot has programmed into his/her FMC?Thanks again and best regards, Ken Boardman VFAL FFT114

Ken Boardman

Guest vrandar

SIDs and STARs are handled slightly differently in regard to ATC (at least here in the UK). In giving clearance ATC will specify the SID to be used taking into account the destination and separation. So although the non handling pilot might have entered the SID into the MCDU s/he might have to change it if ATC specifies a different one. Pilots can request a specific SID (a shorter one thus saving fuel or just because they are Ryanair pilots :) )For the STAR ATC will not give, and pilots will not request, a STAR. The flightplan will show ATC which STAR is to be used. For example, on the attachment ot my earlier post if a pilot was flying south from Scotland and the flightplan to him/her to HON then the STAR would be the BNN1A - although it has been renamed BNN2A since that drawing was done. A SID and STAR might be in the flightplan and online with VATSIM some ATC controlers expect it although increasingly they don't here in the UK. In the real world ATC would normally specify the SID." Is there a "normal" communication routine betweenpilots and ATC regarding SIDs and STARs or is it NORMALLYconfusing and chaotic?" It is never chaotic in the real world, rarely if ever when ATC is online with VATSIM, and offline....well I never offline with AI traffic so haven't a clue what happens there. "Does ATC ever even care what SID or STAR any pilothas programmed into his/her FMC?"Well they certainly do if it conflicts with either ATC instructions or causes the pilot to fly completely the wrong SID or STAR. As I mentioned above, ATC will specify the SID in the IFR clearance and the flightplan will usually determine the STAR.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thorough reponse Rob. I feel that I have a muchbetter grasp of the SID and STAR utilization now, and have abetter idea of what to expect when I fly online with SID/STARentered in the FP.Best regards,Ken Boardman

Ken Boardman

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.