Sign in to follow this  
Guest NEA_CEO

A320 and Icing

Hello PSS,I encountered some strange problems in FS9 with the A320 on a few occassions. Most recently (yesterday) flying into Toronto, using Active Sky ASVE. There was severe icing conditions on the go from 12000 to 3000 ft. Now I had the wing and engine anti-ice on and the prob/window heat on. Level at 10,000 ft under FMS guidence (LNAV, the speed was not in managed mode and was set to 250 knts), the airspeed tape droped to 50 knts and Alpha floor was initiated. my ground speed was actually 360 knots and after about 3 seconds the tape went back to normal... then it happened again as I was descending through 7000 ft. and lasted for about 6 seconds. I've had this happen before particularly when descending through clouds with icing conditions. To me it looks like a pitot icing problem (I've seen other threads here talking about uncommanding pitch-ups with the A320 in normal cruise or APP with whacky speed tape readings). How does PSS model the Pitot tubes and probes? is the probe and window heat switch a dummy switch? Do we need to us shift-H to make sure the pitot heat is on? I've had this happen before, again in cloud and in icing conditions with the A320 and A330/A340. I've never had it happen with the Dash 8 when the boots and icing are active. Can you help?Many thanksMartin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping the the icing protection was duplicated.... I guess I'll have to switch ASVE's icing off an on depending on the AC type. Does shift H still work or has it been disabled?CheersMartin

Sign in to follow this