Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgcomp

A320 radio navigation

Guest jgcomp

I am having a problem using the A320 FMS with respect to radio navigation. Situation: flight plan entered, takeoff procedure normal, flight proceeding normally. ATC suddenly requests a change with the route which is entirely different from original plans which means that the flight plan entered in FMS is now useless. My question: how do I get the A320 to fly using VOR frequencies or ADF? thanks in advance.Jean-Guy

Guest SAS807

If you know the name of the VOR or FIX, you can enter it as your nextwaypoint in your plan. Press the LSK of the waypoint you are flying from, then insert the VOR in LSK3RYou can also enter VOR and ADF frequencies manually on the RAD NAVpage.

Guest dt1951

As Jan has said, just enter the new routing information in the MCDU in its proper location, then delete the old. All you are doing is modifying the flight plan already entered. No need to scrap what you have, just modify it according to what ATC gives you. As with any good pilot, confirm with ATC your new routing.

Guest jgcomp

Thanks for your answers. However, that does not tell me how to navigate using frequencies. I already tried inputting VOR and ADF in the NAV Page but it did not get results in navigational course by the aircraft.Jean-Guy

Guest vrandar

The reason is that Airbus is really not designed to be flown this way. The real world version has the backup system (see the DME analogue backup gauge on the panel which takes the distances based on the VORs in the RAD Nav page) but navigation using frequencies input by the pilot is not how Airbuses are flown. For what you might call long term navigation you have the MCDU. If the buttons on the MCDU are pressed (left click) so you are in managed mode you will follow what is in the foight plan. For short term changes in response to ATC instructions for example, go to selected heading on the FCU by pulling the heading knob (right click). When you need togo back to the flight plan chosse managed mode again.Within the MCDU you can enter waypoints in a variety of formats: PBD (Place/Bearing/Distance), PBX (Place-Bearing/Place-Bearing) and LL (Latitude/Longitude) - see my document Fixes and DME Arcs from the Airbus hangar in my address below which has more details and examples.So basically older style aircraft like the tristar did navigate this way as therewas no alternative. But more modern systems have made this less necessary in the Airbus.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.