Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phoenix_7

A340 makes ATC silent

Guest rohalyg

Well actually I did. I changed that earlier, caused no problem. Changed recently to a flight involving the A340. I'am courious how that affects ATC? Reading your comment I changed back to another flight, but ATC became silent again after a while. I was able to listen to ATIS, but when after engin starts I was about to ask for clearance it was already gone :-(I tried to test and trick the system, changed to the default 737, and was able to get the clearance. Switched back to A340 (repeated engine start and MCDU programming, etc) and it was working. I lost it again while taxiing out. Whats more, when I lined up and was about to bring up the pedestal to apply thrust it crashed to Desktop. :-(((Now I'am even bigger need of help!

Guest rohalyg

The situation got even worth. I also purchased an A319-320-321 package. It installed OK. Took a test route where no addons might disturb: San Francisco - Los Angeles but The ATC was silent in the A319 too and after the take off I crashed as it failed to retract gear and follow the rout in MCDU. Even when I switched off autopilot and auto thrust I was not able to recover and crashed. Just to validate my FS installation, right after the crash I flew the same route without restaring FS with the PMDG 737NG without problems.I really would like to have solution and be able to fly Airbus too!

Guest vrandar

>did you change the default FS startup flight?>Well actually I did. I changed that earlier, caused no>problem. Changed recently to a flight involving the A340. >>I'am courious how that affects ATC? You say it caused no problem but actually I think it is at the heart of the problem. We at PSS have said since FS9 was released that you need to have a default Microsoft FS9 aircraft as your default flight. This is because of code changes Microsoft made with FS9 in relation to what is loaded as part of the default flight. Problems are not obvious but are 'under the hood'. Humour us with this one: have a default Microsoft Boeing 737 in your default flight, then change to a cold and dark Airbus and do your normal startup procedures, taxiing etc and report back on whether the ATC problem still persists.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest rohalyg

Gentlemen, Thanks for the advices, but it did not help. I tried to follow the instructions of the tutorial flight that comes with the A 319-320-321 package (EGGD/GTCS). I made a startup flight with a Skyhawk in Bristol. Started up and switched to A320c. Following the instructions of the Tutorial Flight I gave up, when the APU starup take 7 minutes. During this the cursor was flickering between arrow and hour-glass. During waiting I flicked the ND mode selector. The ND itself changed immediately from arc to plan, but the witch followed only after a lag of 7 seconds. Somethig in the background is just not going as it planned. The ATIS problem looks like this: I open the ATIS window, the first row, that is selectable with key 1 seems to work (like tuning in ground) but the other rows 2 and up does not react. An interesting observation was, that when I switched back to the skyhawk I found, that the master switch was on, but the avionics was off?!? Switching that on and returning to the A320 let me hear ATIS, and make other radio communications like getting take off clearance. I took off for an VFR circuit, and managed to fyl the A320 in selected speed heading and altitude modes until it started to pitch up and down more and more violently and crashed.All in all: I'm convinced, that these are not simulated problems, but simulation problems. I think some modules in the background does not work on a way as they should. Any suggestions on how to move forward?

Guest vrandar

You have the old mouse flicker problem by the sound of it. Two things to do:1) In your panel.cfg make sure the window08 section says:[Window08]Background_color=16,16,16size_mm=2,2position=7visible=1ident=59gauge00=PSS-A320!Server, 0, 0, 12) In the FS9 menus go to the Views menu. Then scroll down to the Instrument Panel menu entry. A new menu will open and near the bottom of it you'll see an entry called System Only Do Not Use which is probably ticked/checked. Untick/uncheck it.3)The third thing on my list of two is that if you have the registered version of FSUIPC (which we recommend) go to the Technical tab and make sure that in the upper left of the screen "Discon Elev Axis for AP" is NOT ticked/checkedLet us know how you get on with these.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest rohalyg

Rob,Thanks for the advice, it improved somewhat, but there are still outstanding issues. The panel.cfg contained something similar, but size was 1,1 only and there was an empty line before gauge00. I inserted, that you suggested.The system only view was on, so I deselected.The mouse flicker gon, the APU started in 20 seconds, so these are OK.I still could only use the radios when before loading the A320 I flicked the Avionics master on on the Cessna panel. Then after getting the A320 to life I could listen to ATIS, get IFR clearance to my route. Then came the MCDU programming, that took some time and when I returned the Radio was silent again. I took off anyway but was not able to retract gear again. The lever was up, but the gears and the lights were down.I have no full FSUIPC, using only partial registrations that came with different planes, but I will get one to implement your third suggestion too. Thanks anyway, Gabor

Guest MisteurJ

I think I have a solution to your problem...* For your flickering problem, you should try downloading a fix on the PSS website. For me, this patch didn't resolve anything, so just in case, here's an alternative method which works for me :Go to your fs9.CFG (do a search on your hard disk), and in the [DISPLAY] section, add PanelAsTexture=0.Launch FS9, create a flight with your A320... No more flickers and gear troubles. (I hope !)* About the ATC trouble, I have the same issue... Same thing as you, I start the APU, program the MCDU...And about 10min after, lights don't work anymore, nor the ATC. The only solution for me is to start the engines, and light/ATC come back...Hope this helps !MisteurJEdit : oups, sorry, the anti-flickering patch is for the A320 only... Don't know if it works with the A340. But the alternate fs9.CFG method should work...

Guest rohalyg

Thanks,The flicker was soved by following some pervious suggestions, but the ATC gets silent. I have tested it now in three different forms:- A319c with preflight jobs performed,- A319c with battery and external power on, but nothing after that- A340-200 with battery and external power on, but nothing after thatThe result is the same: Appr. after 5 min 20 sec after battery on, the ATC goes silent.?????? Gabor

Guest MisteurJ

Sorry, an important word is missing in my previous post...Go to your fs9.CFG (do a search on your hard disk), and in the "DISPLAY.Device.your graphic card" section, add PanelAsTexture=0.(sorry, I can't use the square brackets on this forum)Mine is :DISPLAY.Device.RADEON 9600 SERIES .0Mode=1280x1024x32PanelAsTexture=0Enjoy !

Guest rohalyg

I sent the mail belos on 30th Nov to the Support e-mail abd got no response. Maybe here it will be more successfull. Gentlemen, I purchased on 12th Nov an A340 and experienced the problem of silet ATC. Then I purchased on the 26th A319-320-321 to find out if the problem is present with those. The ATC behaviour was similar but there was the flickering cursor, that I fixed with the help of the forum. I find that unpleasant, that newly downloaded packages do not contain the fixes for known problems, but anyhow. I was also instructed tu register FSUIPC, that was an additional unforseen requirement. By experimenting I noticed, that if I switch the avionic switch on on a dark and cold Cessna Skylane (my default flight according to forum advice) then switch to A320 (also set to dark and cold), then I have functioning radios and able to listen to ATIS, get IFR and taxi clearance. Unfortunately after some time, approximately as much as I need to start up and program MCDU the ATC goes away again. The phenomenon looks like I can select the first options from the ATC menus, but if I select 2 or higher nothing happens. Other sounds are audible, and if I carry on the flight, the plane takes off, functions well except, that gears fail to retract. All in all I was very interested after flying Boeings to start with the Airbus models, but it starts to be frustrating to spend that much time on experimenting with a payware. Please support me in finding the solutions to my problems. Regards, Gabor Rohaly

Guest rohalyg

This A340 base package is my first Airbus, and I was pleased with system modeling, engine start, MCDU etc, but when I wanted to fly I noticed, that ATC does not work. The window opens, and I can select opetin 1 on the screens, but no oher option. After restarting FS9 it worked for a while, I got IFR clearance, but stopped working before taxi.Any similar experiences? Any solution to my problem?

Guest vrandar

This all sounds very much like the dead battery glitch. Are you really sure you are starting your FS session every time with a default aircraft (see the topic pinned at the top of this forum)? I can't be sure from rading your previous posts that you are.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest rohalyg

Rob and All,I reinstalled FS9 from scrach, what is given the number of add ons that I used will result in quite of an investment from my side. So now I'am at bare fs9 + the fs9.1 patch from Microsoft. Then I added the A320 family and the mouse flicker patch. nothing else!Opened the flight called "default", a Cessna Skyane on the runway of Seattle Tacoma International. FS provides that with engine running. If I switched to the A319c (that herited the running engines) I had the radio communication till the end of the test (appr 10 minutes).Then I went to A3xx Panel Config and ticked the option "start with engines off" and "start with Cold and Dark Cockpit" started up with default, switched to A319c, switched both battery on and connected the external power. After 5-6 minutes communicatuin was gone, lights did not work and gear was not retracting!!! Both Batt showed 28V, all panels were operational, MCDU worked, the overhead panel was live. The whole thing was not looking like one wth dead battery.If selection of Cold and Dark Cockpit introduces such a big failure, then what is the point to have a "professionally" detailed plane?I'am really disappointed, that the official Phoenix support made no progress on this. Gabor

Guest vrandar

It's got absolutely nothing to do with a cold and dark cockpit, believe me. If it was I would have the same problems as you each time I went to my Airbus. You can't actually tell you've got the dead battery glitch until it hits.You say that after 5 to 6 minutes ATC goes and you can't retract gear. So this must have been after takeoff. Was your APU still on? Any chance you could provide a screenshot of the overhead panel after the failure occures? What version of FSUIPC are you using and is it the registered or un-registered version. Sorry for the questions but as much info as you can provide will help to work out what on earth is going on.I'll see if there is anything in your panel.cfg, aircraft.cfg and air file that might be causing this if you would like to email them to me at the address below. I assure you that we get as frustrated as you do that these seemingly random faults occur and we do take them very seriously. We are hampered in that they are never exactly the same problems for each pilot and we can't always replicate the problem. If we could we would know (or at least make a very good guess) what was causing your problem. I have no access to the underlying code in the panel etc so am limited to what I can suggest through experience and long hours of testing on my own PC.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.