Sign in to follow this  
Guest vrapp

Landing on one engine - possible or not?

I was trying to land A319 on one engine, with almost no fuel. Looks like this is not possible - after deploying the gears, immediate stall and crash. I think it might be possible with sustained descend (and only on manual control of course), but keeping constant altidute for more than 10 seconds does not seem possible.Even if automation of the model is not programmed to support engine failure, still, I think that inabiliuy to fly it even manually is not right from the standpoint of flight model?That is, naturally, assuming that one-engine failure is not catastrofic with the real plane - don't know if it's true or not.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had a bird strike on take-off the other day in my A321 and I had to make do with a single engine. Way out of practice, I fell out of the sky like a Steinway piano.I decided to practice this scenario, so I temporarily assigned an engine failure to my Backspace key and hit it on climbout. It was very very difficult to maneuvre the aircraft with all that fuel and payload, but it is possible. It is however a constant tango with the rudders. If you don't have a decent rudder on your joystick it is practically impossible to pull it off I think. I managed to put her down in one piece, very much repairable. I recommend practicing this once in a while. Especially if you use FSpassengers which sometimes makes your flight too interesting for comfort.KristoferSweden

Yes, frankly, I managed to land it too; but it was very difficult. My point is that, assuming that the real aircraft can land on one engine, and that the flight model is supposed to be more or less accurate, it should not be so hard?Though, my main problem was not with the rudder, but rather in horizontal area: even with the throttle of the remaining engine in the red sector, with deployed gears, the aircraft was just balancing on the edge of a-floor area.

Also noteworthy. First time I lost an engine I immediately deployed full flaps. Big big mistake. I consulted the manual which said only extend flaps when touchdown is imminent.

Please, where does the manual say that? I did not find anything related to emergency landing.

My bad... not the manual. It's in Rob's Engine Relight PDF.

Sign in to follow this