Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jesper Kimblad

Help me descend.

Guest Jesper Kimblad

Hello and happy new year,Im using the PSS panel merged with IFDG Airbus 320 model.This is my problem:If ATC online says like this: "Scandinavian 145 when ready descend to cross ELTOK at flight level 120."Question one. How do I know when Im ready. Does an altitude constraint have anything to do with it?Question 2. How do I use altitude constraints. I have tried to fill in 120 at the VERT REV page in the MCDU. But nothing happens. I have read the manuals, but Im not wiser. All help appreciated./Jesper

Guest vrandar

"When ready" means exactly that: you start your descent when you have finished anything else you are currently doing. The instruction you stated, "cross ELTOK at FL120" means that whenever you do start the descent you must nevertheless be at FL120 when you reach ELTOK. So you must put in an alt constraint which is done by clcicking the right LSK next to the ELTOK VOR in the F-PLAN page of the MCDU. Then at LSK3R next to ALT CSTR you enter FL120 (make sure you type the FL and not just 120.But it will not fly this on its own just by what you have entered into the MCDU. You need to initiate the descent. So when you are ready to decend you dial in FL120 into the Alt window of the FCU and press (that is you left click) the alt knob. This way the computers will calculate the rate of descent to make you reach FL120 at the correct time according to the FL120 alt constraint in the flight plan.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest Jesper Kimblad

That definately got a few things sorted out for me.Will try this soon Rob. Thanks!/Jesper

Guest Jesper Kimblad

Hmm,Don't know if this is normal or if I did anything wrong.But before i reached ELTOK i entered FL120 into the MCDU and then 120 on the FCU and left clicked the alt knob. It started descend right away at about 2400 ft/m. It reached FL120 way too early before ELTOK. Second time I tried to start my descent later. This time it also descended at about 2400ft/m but reached FL120 after ELTOK. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal./Jesper

Guest Jesper Kimblad

I think I have figured out myself what I'm doing wrong.When I did my test flight I was in such a hurry that i didn't enter any weights into the MCDU. This means that I got no Top of Descent displayed on my screen. So I started my descent when I felt like it. :-roll Is it correct that if I put in an altitutde constraint the Top of descent moves?Btw anyone got a good manual? It feels like this isn't covered in PSS manuals./Jesper

Guest vrandar

Without wishing to over-emphasise it you must must must must must MUST must must put in the weights. It is part of the preparation process and must not be omitted.I have put a load of different guidance docs in the Speedbirdonline Airbus hangar. See my address below for the location./ The tutorial flight and MCDU programming docs are rather old now and were written for FS2002 so badly need updating. I am working on a new EGKK-LEMG tutorial. The other guidance docs are a bit newer and I hope they give some help.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest Jesper Kimblad

With weights inserted it worked perfectly fine.Thans alot for all your efforts Rob. Good luck with that tutorial!/Jesper

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.