Sign in to follow this  
fablarto

Touch and Go in A32x?

I was wondering if it's possible to do touch and go landings without confusing the MCDU? I would like to practice landings, but since you can't save a flight during the approach phase, it's somewhat time consuming to have to set up a new flight each time to practice a landing. My main question - is it possible with the MCDU to touch and go, loop back around, and repeat the whole process over and over?Thanks,Alden

Guest ciropv

I have done it a lot of times, so it is possible, although you MUST follow some special indications and must understand what is happening because the PSS MCDU is not so well modeled in this phase as it seems to be in the rest.I am planning to write a little tutorial, but now i don't have time, so here you have some steps for you to practice until I publish it.First of all. You must have at least two more waypoints following the runaway (or even better the whole missed approach procedure).This is MANDATORY. If you overfly the last waypoint in the flight plan, you will have problems!. So you need to have at least two more waypoints left. (for the first times, you can have a HOLD, so you can take it easy until you are ready).It is a good practice to have the whole Flight plan (included the missed approach) stored, so you can reload it later without needing to retype it. Once you decide to go arround (because of missed approach or because of touch n' go):1. TOGA Power. On positive climb, Gear Up, Flaps -1 step (Full to 3 or 3 to 2)2. at 1500 AGL Climb Power. Speed Selected (250 KIAS or less). Retract flaps as you accelerate.3. MCDU. From here you have 3 options:Option A:Press INIT. Specify as ALT Airport your current landing airport.Press F-PLAN. At any waypoint (this is one of the reasons why you need waypoints left) press " < Enable Altn " . Now redo the arrival and the waypoints you need.Option B:Press F-PLAN. At any waypoint (this is one of the reasons why you need waypoints left) specify your cuurent landing airport and press " NEW DEST [ ] > ". Now redo the arrival and the waypoints you need.Option C:Press DATA. Press "Load Route >" and reload your flight plan. The MCDU will delete all the previous waypoints, and/or you can go "DIR TO" the waypoint you want.The trick is to understand that the PSS bug resides in the fact that the MCDU do not recognize you are in "Missed Approach" phase. It thinks you are still in "Approach phase", so your speed in managed will continue at vapp (this is why speed must be in selected until you are again in approach).I will write a tutorial, but you will need to wait a little if you want it.SeeU,Ciro

Guest vrandar

Sorry, you are of course entirely correct, I hadn't got brain fully into gear. In fact a while back I wrote a tutorial about missed approaches (available from the speedbirdonline Airbus hangar below) which if followed will permit touch and gos to be done.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Thanks to you both for the help! Now if I actually had enough time in my day to sit down and fly, things would be even better...-Alden

Guest ciropv

>Sorry, you are of course entirely correct, I hadn't got brain>fully into gear. In fact a while back I wrote a tutorial about>missed approaches (available from the speedbirdonline AirbusThe funny thing is that I began doing Touch n Goes, time ago, using a tutorial written by somebody I didn't remember... SeeUCiro

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.