Sign in to follow this  

NAV/ILS with the jets' control panels

Hey guys, been a flight simmer on and off since I was 12 years old, (back on my Atari 800!). Took real flying lessons in a trusty old Cessna 152 and nearly all of my simming is in the smaller planes that I would really fly. Recently I've played around with some of the bigger jet's like the Learjets and the Boeings and I was wondering if someone could point me to or explain themselves the details behind reading the digital heading indicator which also seems to incorporate the VOR information into it.I tried one of the Boeing flights included with FS and it was fun flying to Paris, listening to the ATC and lining up for an ILS entry but then I didn't know how to get on the glidescope and flew right by the airport without realizing it. :( A big part of it was due to my inexperience with controlling one of the big boys (power settings for certain airspeeds, etc..) but even if I had the thing straight and level I still woulda passed right by without realizing.Thanks in advance!

You must be referring to the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI). After you tune the ILS freq into active NAV1, set the course (in the autopilot or on the NAV display) to the runway heading. i.e. rwy 27, course 270. This merely rotates the HSI to the correct orientation. That is also how you tune in radials when flying VORs. As you receive the localizer you will notice the needle deflected on the HSI, this is much like the NAV receivers in the cessnas. The glideslope is indicated by a mark on the right side of the NAV display AND on the right side of the artificial horizon. When it is at the top you are too low and when it is at the bottom you are too high. It should be in the center if you are on the correct glidepath.Hope this helps,Tripp

Hi Tripp,Yes I did mean the HSI, sorry I didn't mention that specifically. After posting I remembered that their are lessons for Commercial flights and using that I managed to figure out the needle on the HSI. What you postd above affirms what I learned. Was a bit un-intuitive at first but I got the hang of it. I noticed the glidescope on the HSI on the Boeings but not on the Learjet, not sure if I checked the artifical horizon on the Lear but I'll look for it next time I try.Thanks a lot for your assisstance!

On the How Tos.. and FAQ menu at www.flightsim.com is a How to fly the 737. It was written using FS98 but the directions still apply and now you have the benefit of better scenery with FS2002. Download by rightclicking the Howto and use Save Target as..

Thanks I'll check it out when I can get in, I keep getting "All nodes busy" right now.