Sign in to follow this  
Greg Goodavish

Intercepting VOR radials with PSS Airbus Pro

How do you intercept a VOR radial with the PSS Airbus Pro? When I tune in a VOR freq, I get the VOR rose display, but what do you do to fly a heading for intercept and have the aircraft automatically intercept a given VOR radial?

Greg Goodavish

Guest vrandar

Ah this is a difficult one as things are different between the Airbus and the Boeings which can do this I believe. In the "Professor McDoo Airbus MCDU Study Guide" for the real world Airbus family it states:"Very Important - the Airbus does NOT (more accurately CAN NOT) intercept and track VOR radials in raw data. If you stayed in raw data the PF would have to use HDG SEL to turn, intercept and fly the radial"It then goes on to talk about creating PBD fixes outbound from the VOR to enable you to fly it inbound (I hope that makes sense). In the real world version you can do this such that it creates an intercept and a curve onto the radial. I have never yet achieved this in the PSS MCDU which makes me think it isn't programmed to enable this to be done.To sum up, I create a PBD outbound from the VOR at the 'beginning' of the radial I want to track but use selected heading on the FCU to actually intercept this in a curve before going back to managed mode to fly from the PBD fix to the VOR. A bit fiddly. Maybe another pilot has a solution which is a bit more slick.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.