Sign in to follow this  
Guest tony_butler

Localiser and Approach buttons

Guest vrapp

> set ILS freq into NAV1, NAV2 and ILS, press ILS buttonNo, you don't have to do that. It's done automatically.If your switches ndb/vor are set to vor, you see the id of the tuned-to station in your display in the bottom. When it finally changes from some vor to the runway, it reads something like XYZ M. At that point the radio is tuned to the ILS, and you should be able to activate the approach.You can verify what the radio is tuned to by clicking on the radio button in MCDU.

Guest tony_butler

Hi Vadim,Like Carlo, I too made sure the ILS frequency was also set in NAV1 even though the ILS was set okay by the FMS. The ILS beam and glideslope were displayed okay when the ILS button was pressed but had to be chased manually since the LOC and APP buttons were not functioning. There is obviously something that Carlo and I have missed in setting up the flight, or maybe carrying out the initialisation in a certain sequence inhibits the push buttons as the system doesn't think everything is initialised.Tony

Just as a matter of interest lads, Carlo and Tony, I may have missed it but there is one process that I keep forgetting so get the same result and I wonder if you've missed it too.You get your runway and vectors right?You insert your runway into the FMC o.k.?You get close enough to intitiate approach phase so you do that - and make sure your speed setting is 'managed' (---) yes?You check your rad nav to make sure the ILS frequency is in o.k, yes?you press your approach and ILS buttons yes? WRONG!! (Sorry about the capitals- just a point of emphasis!)I don't know but in order to get the aircraft to track the ILS I've found that before pressing the last two buttons you need to put (push) your heading selector into managed mode.Then she floats like a feather all the way to the ground in the right place.Tim

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.