Sign in to follow this  
John Regan

A330 MCDU help

I hope someone can help me. I was flying from CYYZ to KORD using the tutorial from the PSS web site. After following the manual exactly, upon climb-out, I press crtl-h, then "-" to set climb thrust then "z" for AP1. The problem is that the aircraft pitches down and will not climb using the MCDU. I have flown this tutorial before without problems. I hope that it something I am overlooking.Thanks,John

Just a little more information. When I press the "z" key as in the tutorial, I get a-floor and TOGA LK messages. I have flown this tutorial many times. I had been flying other routes and started to have these problems. I went back to the tutorial to see if I was overlooking something. The only thing I have done is upgrade to FSUIPC 3.53. I tried to go back to an older version but still no luck.Thanks again,John

Guest vrandar

Some things to check:Icing is a problem at this time of year so make sure your pitot heat is on when going through clouds. In FSUIPC (registered) on the technical page make sure "Discon Elev axis for A/P" is NOT checked.Have you got the correct alt entered in the Alt window on the FCU and also the cruise level properly entered into the PROG page of the MCDU? And are you pressing (left click) the alt knob to ensure you are in managed alt mode?And finally, you're not trying to fly the Airbus with just the keyboard are you. It does require a joystick. Sorry to ask but a while back we were trying to find a solution to all sorts of probems a pilot had, and eventually it turned out he wasn't using a joystick!Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Rob,Thanks for the reply. I have been flying the A330 for about a year now with no problems. I reflew the tutorial again using your suggestions.>Some things to check:>>Icing is a problem at this time of year so make sure your>pitot heat is on when going through clouds. >Pitot heat was on...still have the problem.>In FSUIPC (registered) on the technical page make sure "Discon>Elev axis for A/P" is NOT checked.>The box is NOT checked...same problem>Have you got the correct alt entered in the Alt window on the>FCU and also the cruise level properly entered into the PROG>page of the MCDU? And are you pressing (left click) the alt>knob to ensure you are in managed alt mode?>Double checked...still will not climb in managed alt mode.>And finally, you're not trying to fly the Airbus with just the>keyboard are you. It does require a joystick. Sorry to ask but>a while back we were trying to find a solution to all sorts of>probems a pilot had, and eventually it turned out he wasn't>using a joystick!>Joystick works just fine. Tried recalibrating it...still no luck.>Rob Elliott, EGPE Inverness>PSS Airbus Support and>Airbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual >airbus@speedbirdonline.co.uk>http://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.html>http://www.bavirtual.co.ukI am still scratching my head. Could FSUIPC 3.53 be the problem? If so, I may try reinstalling the A330 from the website. Or changing back to an earlier version of fsuipc. What version is included with the package.Thanks for all your help.John

>In FSUIPC (registered) on the technical page make sure "Discon>Elev axis for A/P" is NOT checked.This is what upset the A320 for me some time ago when I changed the setting to accomodate the Feelthere/PIC 737. As soon as I switched on AP, the aircraft nose dived. Forgot to switch it back.Tony

>>In FSUIPC (registered) on the technical page make sure>"Discon>>Elev axis for A/P" is NOT checked.>>This is what upset the A320 for me some time ago when I>changed the setting to accomodate the Feelthere/PIC 737. As>soon as I switched on AP, the aircraft nose dived. Forgot to>switch it back.>>Tony Thanks Tony for replying back. I have tried just about everything and I am about to pull my hair out. A week ago, the A330 functioned perfectly. The only change I made to MSFS is the upgrade th FSUIPC 3.53. I have gone back to 3.47 and even 3.12 and deleted the FSUIPC .ini file each time. Still no luck.John

I have a couple ideas on this problem.First, make sure you haven't inadvertently reassigned the "z" key in either FS or FSUIPC.Second, make sure you start with a default plane and switch to the PSS Scarebus. Many offending settings can be carried from one flight to the next (usually via some bad setting in the last.flt file). Using the create a flight dialogue and loading a default plane at a default airfield will generally flush the bad settings. This is a good idea with *any* advanced add-on.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob. I haven't thought of that (the "z" key). I'll give it a try and let you know.

Well, I tried loading the default cessna at KSEA. Then loaded the PSS A330. Then changed to CYYZ as per the tutorial. After start-up of engines and programming the FMC as per the tutorial, I proceeded to take off. Pressed the crtl-h key then the z key. Altitude was set at 5000 ft and displayed in blue on the PFD. I was at 2200 ft when I pressed the z key. The plane wouldn't climb as it should. I fear that I might have to do a re-install but as I am on dial-up, I dread the time it will take. Do you have anymore suggestions before I take the plunge?Thanks again,John

I am curious why you're using shortcut keys rather than mousing on the buttons. Have you tried it that way? I have no idea what CTRL-H is supposed to do, btw.What cruise flight level do you have programmed in the MCDU? And did you load page 2 of the init with block fuel etc?RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

>I am curious why you're using shortcut keys rather than>mousing on the buttons. Have you tried it that way? I have>no idea what CTRL-H is supposed to do, btw.CRTL-H is mapped by default to MCP HDG selector pull. I have tried using the keyboard shortcut and mousing the knobs. I was using the keyboard shortcut because that is the way the tutorial is written and I didn't want to leave something out by mistake.>What cruise flight level do you have programmed in the MCDU? >And did you load page 2 of the init with block fuel etc?The cruise flight level is set at FL310 and the ZFW and fuel block were set correctly. I was using the CYYZ-KORD tutorial because I thought I was overlooking something and I wanted to make sure the fault wasn't something I was ommiting either due to programming or system management. >Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de Chile>If you can suggest anything else, I'll give it a try.Thanks again,John

Just an update. I went back to FSUIPC 3.12 and all my problems disappeared. Has anyone else had any problems with 3.53?Thanks,John

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.