Sign in to follow this  
Guest tgabriel

Virus checking in the library

Guest danowat

in the case of the file today, the virus was "several levels down" and hence invisible to your scanners.Maybe this is a loophole that needs closing?

Guest Matt Johnson

If we knew how to close it, we would. When I investigated the file even with Norton, I had to have expanded the file before even Norton noticed there was a problem, due to the multiple levels of compression. Most virus detectors can handle a single level of compression, but multiple levels tends to fox them.

Guest Miro Majcen

Finding viruses several levels deep in the zips is difficult for many reasons. First it takes more time for file to be scanned, second requires a good anti-virus software, which is not free and not many will have this feature and fact is there are not that many cases with such infections. Thanks for your observation too. If anyone wants to donate a commercial antivirus scanner for linux server we'll gladly consider it :)MiroMiro MajcenSenior Managing EditorAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.com

danowat,Thanks for the head's up.AVSIM does a lot to prevent what it can, but there are limits to what we can catch. We'll have to work together (the users and staff at AVSIM) to be vigilant. As Matt indicates, it is difficult to cover all angles.Jeffry BabbAVSIM Online!

In addition to all that the guys have said, there is a matter of personal responsibility involved too. Though we do what we can to protect users, ultimately, our Terms of Use state that you are responsible for protecting yourself.

Guest danowat

Hi,Well, I suppose you have an external virus checker....ME! :-lol , I download "most" files from AVSIM, so if I ever have a problem I will contact the library managers, like I did in this case.Tom, yes I totally understand about the user protecting themselves, but I bet there are a lot of people who dont virus scan their files,and probably think that files from AVSIM would be "safe".Anyway, I thank you all for doing a great job, and if you ever require any staff for file checking etc, or anything else I would be glad to help out.ThanksDan.

Guest tgabriel

"there is a matter of personal responsibility involved too"That is the bottom line and hopefully people will use this as a wake up call that virus writers are getting more and more sophisticated in their attempts to circumvent our attempts to block them.The other day one of our security team told me they wanted to start blocking zip files but business concerns by many of our users prevent such a step. They have been in touch with our anti virus vendor and we are assured that zips are analyzed to whatever levels they go.Quality costs money but in the long run it is well worth it.Anyway, you folks do a great job (one I would not have for all the tea in China, by the way) and should be commended for it.Terry