Sign in to follow this  
Guest kibo55

Airbus Nav Hold

Hey guys! I'm kind of new to Airbus' and i was just wandering how i get my plane to follow the route entered into the flight plan. With Boeing aircraft (which is what i am used to flying) all you had to do was press the [NavHold] button but this button does not exsist in Airbus'. please help me as at the moment i have to use a direct route and then change the heading manually looking at the GPS!!!!Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

One of the fundamental things you need to learn about Airbuses is the concept of managed mode and selected mode. In managed mode you are giving the data entered into the MCDU control. In selected mode you are overriding this by the entries you put into the Flight Control Unit (FCU) on the glareshield. Thinki of managed mode as being long-term control and selected as short term.You can set speed, heading, altitude and vertical speed in either managed or selected mode or a combination of these.To choose managed mode you left click the relevant knob which is the same as pushing the knob in the real world. To choose selected mode you right-click (pull) the relevant knob. So you push the knob to push control away from you onto the computers, and you pull the knob towards you to give you control. Selected mode is normally used when you are being given vectors by ATC (you wouldn't be able to enter everything into the MCDU fast enough and it would be inflexible), or you are being given specific altitudes not entered into the flight plan in the MCDU, or you are given a speed restriction by ATC like "180 to 4 DME". It's whenever you need to make a change that is not in the flight plan. This will happen on every flight at some stage.So in the situation you described you must have your flight plan entered into the MCDU and then make sure that when the autopilot is engaged you have the heading knob pressed. You can tell you are in managed mode when the heading window in the FCU shows ---. rather than a heading you have entered. Same with Speed and vertical speed but not with Altitude which will always show a figure in the FCU.There are some old tutorials in the Speedbirdonline Airbus hangar (address in my sig below) which were written in the days of FS2002 but the way of flying the Airbus is the same. Or ask any further questions here at the forum.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Sign in to follow this