Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Default Gamma correction for Samsung SyncMaster 191T LC

I finally got tired of the dim, unsharp picture on my old 20" monitor after seeing the incredible picture on my wife's Dell laptop and my son's older Viewsonic flat panel CRT (OK, so I got monitor envy). I decided to plunge for a 19" TFT LCD. After reading reviews I got a Samsung 191T, the brightness, color and sharpness of which has to be seen to be believed, especially in digital mode. However, the downside is (and you knew there would be one) that the only screen factor you can change with manual monitor controls is brightness, and while the default picture for web surfing is great, it's too dark for FS2002, and this control doesn't fix it. The monitor comes with a program called Natural Color which has settings for different needs like Gaming, Photo work, 3D, Document Creation, etc, and this allows me to set a pleasing gamma and color level that looks great in FS2002. However, this only works in windowed mode, and when I jump to Full Screen, it reverts to the default (dark) gamma. I sent and email to Samsung Support with no response.Anyone got any suggestions or ideas?Bill

Some video adapters such as NVidia based ones have brightness, contrast, and gamma (curve shape) control in their advanced properties. If you set everything there, what happens with your FS full screen display?I suspect it will be the same experience, but who knows?I am not at home, but if you have Rivatuner for NVidia and your video adapter is NVidia based, I'd see if there are any settings.Another consideration is to check whether your desktop resolution is the same setting as your FS selected resolution. In windowed mode your desktop res is dominant but in FS full screen that res must take over. If the settings are different, perhaps your screen is responding differently due to the scaling sampling structure required by LCD displays. Check out the refresh rate as well.

Guest wkzzo

Bill ,I have the same monitor ,but I use it as a secondary display for radios, fmc's ,gps ect... I have it connected to my DVI port on a visiontek gf4, and your right all the controls other than brightness are disabled in digital mode, but if you go into to your video card properties you can adjust all the parmeters in there such as brightness ,gamma ,contrast,color ect... I have not had to actually adjust these as the default settings seem perfect for my use, and I also run both monitors full screen. My primary display is a sony CRT. You could always connect it through the VGA port and this way all the controls will be active through the monitor menus. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Ronzie and Wallace,Thanks very much for your replies. They helped quite a bit. I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and it is running at 60 Hertz, the monitor's recommended best rate. In the "Display Properties/Advanced/Color" page there is a Desktop brightness and a Color Curve control. Both of these will change the desktop but not the full screen mode. However, there is also a button on this page called "Game Gamma". This brings up a screen with sliders that control RGB brightness values from Min to Max, and THESE DO CONTROL the full screen appearance. It will make the full screen mode brighter, but will not soften the gradations between dark and light which manipulating the Color Curve will. The best appearance to me occurs when the Color Curve is skewed slightly up and to the left for red, green, and blue.My CRT is a Sony 20", and it doesn't begin to compare to the LCD for image. In fact, I can hardly look at it now even as a second monitor because it is SO dull. I'm thinking about getting another LCD to replace it!Anyway, that helped! Any more ideas and how to manipulate a color curve for full screen?Bill

Guest wkzzo

I agree with you there bill about the CRT's not looking as good, once you see an image on a high end LCD the CRT just doesn't cut it anymore, its also alot easier on the eye's. Im about to go to dual LCD's myself. Hows that MD11 coming along Bill, I have been enjoying your ERJ panel for some time , the artwork is fantastic. Looking forward to your next creations.

Try www.tomshardware.com for info. There was an LCD advertised that I thought had the mode built in for gaming gamma by adjustment on the monitor menu as opposed to the PC, but I do not recall it. Search Toms, www.guru3d.com, and perhaps www.maximumpc.com for reviews and ideas.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Despite all their wonderful features, don't LCDs run at a lower res/refresh rate?

Guest Dominique

I'm wondering about getting a LCD screen on my new gear too (the 17" Ilyima looks nice enough) but it's almost impossible to test one with FS in a shop.I've two issues bothering me for which I'ven't had any satisfactory answer so far On my Toshiba laptop the anti-aliaising seems not work as well as on a CRT and there's also a bit a shimmering. I wonder wether that comes from the Trident Cyberblade which is a not so good Video adapter or from the LCD technology itself ? Guys ? thanks ...D

D,I'm no expert on LCD's, but as good as they are, and they are brilliant, they aren't perfect. In one instance I saw some shimmering in the bottom half of an external view of the landscape. And I think you are correct about the anti-aliasing not working as well. I've noticed it somewhat in closeup shots of airplanes, but it's really noticeable with panels. It is very pixelated on my panels and I'm not entirely pleased with the effect. But sharp and bright?! Egad. You can get mesmerized by it.Bill

Greg,I have two LCD's, a 15" Sony with a max and best res of 1024x768 and the Samsung 19" with a max and best at 1280x1024 and a refresh rate of 60 Hertz. This seems pretty adequate for the screen size, however I think FS would look better on the 19" at the 1600x1200 res that my wife's 15" laptop has as a max and best.Bill

Hi GuysI have just moved to a 17" Hitachi LCD CML 174SXWB following several rave reviews of it on respected sites like Toms Hardware and gamepc.The jump that Hitachi have made is in it's refresh rate which is 3/4 times faster than what has been available until now. Also in the UK there has recently been a price drop of c.

Wallace,Glad you enjoy the ERJ. The MD-11 is even more complex and it's now over a year since starting. I've begun the FMS portion, finished the radio panel, Systems Display is begun but far from finished, no overhead or pedestal yet, side art only begun.http://home.earthlink.net/~wsgrabowski/MD11PanelFeb2.jpgThis gives you an idea of what it looks like, but it's what's underneath that has taken so much effort. Getting the autopilot to do what the real one does has been a bear. The knob funtion alone is complex. It has autoland and uses its own ils capture routine, not the default MS. I was shocked to see a recent otherwise very excellent commercial product which can't capture a localizer! Also good news is that there are two new Gmax MD-11's on the way! By the way, this is a screen capture from the Samsung LCD. The panel does look different on the LCD when compared to the CRT. I also note with some interest that the Sony 15" LCD looks great in full screen mode in FS using its analog connection without the brightness and gamma changes I see with the Samsung using digital or analog. I don't know if the larger Sony LCD's would look the same, but I think they would, and it looks to me like the Sony is far superior for FS.Bill

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks Bill. I think I'll wait till I can get an LCD at 1600X1200X32 that is decently priced. Looking forward to your MD11! :9

Guest wkzzo

Bill ,that looks great so far, I"ll be looking forward to it.