Sign in to follow this  

Dim taxiway edge lights.

I really having a difficult time seeing the taxiway edge lights with FS2002 Pro. The green taxiway centerline lights at some of the airports are great, but the edge lights are very dim. Is there a way to get them brighter?

Peter:Edit your panel.cfg file, the last entry, to these numbers and see what you think about the taxiway lighting after that. Make sure you relaod the aircraft in fs2002, or you will not notice anything.X=0Y=0SIZE_X=8191Size_Y=5310Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest ha5mvo

ah, alex..I tried these settings...now I don't see them at all from the 2D viewMike

Under in panel.cfg the following statement needs to be edited or added to "raise" the pilot seat to restore the correct position of the horizon line for the 2D cockpit. The first number is variable but start with it after changing the X,Y sizes.VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=13.0, 0.0, 0.0Here is my section:X=0Y=0SIZE_X=8191SIZE_Y=6142(Note: The message section does not like brackets so I used <> instead.)If you edit the forward parameter, then load another aircraft, then again the one you edited so the new value will take effect. It is not necessary to leave and reenter FS after editing that value each time.

Guest Scott Campbell

If you change the view, the perspective goes to hell. This fixes nothing with the taxi lights, it only screws up the perspective giving a microscopic view angle (ala zoom lens).The light brightness needs to be fixed. I liked the enlarging 2K "bulbs" as you got closer to them. At the very least, MS should let us change the color to something like light blue.

For me, the vertical stretch did brighten the runway edge and taxiway edge lights. I suppose it depends on what rez your running. What happens is the vertical size of the lights is increased taking up some more pixels thereby increasing their effective brightness.To try this, in the 2D cockpit view, drag (not close or shrink!) the panel down vertically so the panel top is near the bottom of the display. If the outside view does not take up the whole vertical screen area, drag the bottom of the view window down. Of course this should be done on a night scene with the aircraft pointed at some lights. In my case of 1024 rez and full screen, this brightened the appearance of the pinpoint light sources, such as the dim taxi lights.You can choose how much to stretch the outside image with this experiment to tolerate perspective changes and seat height adjustments get your desired brightness.Since I've done this, the landing light illumination does not tend as much to wash out the lights in G-Max aircraft. I still often taxi with the lights off and there is enough stray illumination to show the taxiway edges where the tarmac material changes or the striping dense enough.Like any site-image view training through the cockpit, I got used to the slight perspective change and did not find it too discomforting. I have no trouble with visual approaches and made night pattern landings easier with the better runway sighting from all views.

At work, I'm famous for mumbling to myself, but I'd thought I'd mention that in one of the add-on packages it was mentioned that it featured eadio-control of some airport lighting. Don't recall which one, however.

Mike::-( Sorry to hear that, because it really worked for me. That and boosting my monitor brightness mode from "Standard" to "Presentation"My VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= setting is not as dramatic as the one mentioned above. I would think that with a downward direction value of 13.0, you would not be able to see the horizon and runway ahead of you and that you would only be looking straight down. I set my values at somewhere between 2.0 and 5.0 depending on the aircraft and the relative position of the flight deck to the runway. Trial and error works best here.Good Luck, Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm using a dual head video card with one monitor ( the top one ) for the outside view and the lower monitor for the instrument panel. The view size is not the problem, the problem is the gamma ( brightness ) of the taxiway edge lights. If memory serves, I think that I use 1028 X 760 resolution with 16 bit color depth. Again, thanks for those comments and suggestions.

Guest estevesm

I have the same problem with dim taxi edge lights. What I do, I switch to VC where they are way brighter. Then, just before takeoff, I switch back to 2D.

Hi, Alex.That direction of 12.5 was in Mike Stone's B1900D, as I recall. Some of the original outside view sizes varied from about 25% to 75% of full screen depending on the windshield area and the panels' aspect raios of the different models. I generally place the horizon line about 1/4 down the windshield area for most models so I can see VASI, et. al., with one notch of flaps.By the way, it has been many years but I live in the Anoka area and flew for a couple of years out of Anoka County-Jane's Field in Blaine where I got my PPL and CPL. I still go there occasionally to Cirrus to pick up TERPS, WACS, and other flight material.The modelling of KANE in FS2K2 is not too bad! Boy, has that airport grown since my days there. With careful approach, you can get the B1900D to land nicely on 18/36 but 8/27 might be a little close.

Ron:Well hello neighbor. I mostly fly airliners in FS 2002, but I do like to take my Seneca V up in the neighbor hood on occassion, so I will definitelt check out your former FO at KANE!Regards,Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com