Sign in to follow this  

Reality XP Garmin 530 vs FSAvionics Garmin 530

Guest UweR

Hi Glen, which panel do you use with the Fokker, the one from their website, and do you have a link by any chance?Best Regards, Uwe

Guest aca_dia

I tried the FSAvionics demo and was not terribly impressed. The fact that it could not be coupled with an HSI made it of no use for me. I fly a RW aircraft with a 530 & 430 and wanted to be able to practice GPS approaches as I do in the airplane.One other thing about the FS version that I did not like was how the program worked with FS2002. I found it a pain to have to launch the Garmin trainer outside of FS each time I wanted to use it. Does the reality XP version work like the flight line avionics do? Specifically can you still use that nifty aircraft load out utility to apply the Garmin to specific aircraft and will a small button for it then appear on that aircrafts panel screen?

Hi Uwe, yes I use the default panel. It seems they have it aliased to a seperate panel folder that is installed by itself after you install the Plane.. Link... http://fokker.avsim.net/downloads.htm#PANELI'm not great with these panel configs at all.P.S. My frame rates are being cut in half with this new GPS, have you noticed any big drops on your system? Thanks, Glen

Guest UweR

"Does the reality XP version work like the flight line avionics do?" Yes and no... It does use the trainer software as well, but the program doesn

Guest sbdwag

I too have noticed some impact of frame rates. This gives me pause when considering the Meridian. I was under the impression that this new True Display XP gauge technology was going to minimise the impact on Frame rates. If the 530 is the same technology in the Meridian. What can we expect.On one hand you have this statement from the Reality XP website talking about their"To overcome these limitations, and provide a true to life experience to the virtual pilot, we have design True Display XP, a set of design methods and programming tools to provide a fine rendition of any displayed element up to one tenth of a degree at any Flight Simulator screen resolution, with virtually no impact to the Flight Simulator frame rate! Another advantage of our proprietary technology is to allow multiple instances of the same gauge to be displayed at the same time on screen."And on the other hand you have the readme file from the Garmin 530 "You may also experience a small frame rate loss when flying the Flight Line 530 XP. This is due to the Windows 16bits emulation layer and its CPU resource allocation mechanism when running the Garmin Trainer Program concurrently with FS2002."No big deal because the Gauge is really a wonderful addon and Reality XP has gone the extra mile to make it available to those of us who already have the Reality Xp suite.I just wasnt expecting the hit on frames though.Dennis

>On one hand you have this statement from the Reality XP >website talking about their However if you read above what Ben stated:"Integrating the Reality XP 530 with an aircraft you currently own offers no indication of what you'll see with the Flight1 Meridian!"That may suggest that Meridian is a different case since it properly integrates all instruments from start and perhaps avoids some performance issues.Michael J.

After some flights with RealityXP these are my impressions:- Very nice Customer support, one of the best;- Changed the Seneca V panel and the final result specially on VC was great;- To achieve a good resolution it is needed a 1:1 version.- Didn't like the Ez-Config solution, kind of defeats the gauge approach. The panel integration is the best one. Let's see how reality XP build a Database of changed panels or Panel Studio will se a sales rise;- The Vor Solution is a good one, just integrate it on the panel and that's it, I'm talking about the Seneca; - It didn't react very well in lowering the NTVDM priority; - Two of my biggest concerns regarding the trainer use weren't answered: The database update (although RealityXP is concerned about that) and the clock (Pause FS and see what happens).I'm going to wait for FSGarmin 1.1 before comparing both, since I'm expecting a lot from that version.Jos

Several people pointed out that the Reality XP Garmin was more stable than the FSGarmin. I would say it is more stable but still not entirely stable. Hitting "pause" for any length of time, as others have pointed out, starts a cascade of events very similar to what we experienced with FSGarmin at the onset.On the plus side, I did manage to plop the Garmin VOR in the Archer VC and it is stellar! Easy to do too! I had no idea the VCs were so easy to customize. I haven't tried putting the garmin in the VC because I'm not sure it would buy me much (I already have it on a second monitor).As for the resolution, the size listed in my panel.cfg already says "1" so I assume this is what you are recommending. Still the text is moth eaten on the display. I am getting an error when I load FS now that say something about not being able to load 3rd party software because of a missing file: riched20.dll. I'm thinking this has something to do with the graphic display of the text and it started immediately after installing the GarminXP. I do know that NIMBDA virus can affect those dlls for some reason. I downloaded replacements but it didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to create a post specifically on this topic to cast the net a bit wider. Thanks!David