Sign in to follow this  
Guest KGreenwood

PSS A320 ILS

Guest KGreenwood

g'dayrecent convert to the PSS A320 and have to say - one of the most immersive, entertaining and realistic flight simulator platforms I've had the pleasure to use. I've been at this hobby since the Flight Assignment:ATP days and am a real world ATController.I have one issue that's causing me some grief with the 'bus. When I input my destination airport runways ILS freq in the NAV1 NAVRAD MCDU page I am having difficulty getting the 'bus to recognize it as a ILS vice a VOR and allowing me to engage the LOC or APP modes while on final vectors to intercept. Believe I am setting up the MCDU properly for the flight - I have gone through the systems manual and tutorial flights several times.I set up the arrival runway and STAR transition in the FLTPLN page of the MCDU -- let the bus autotune VOR1 and VOR2 throughout the flight to ensure the IRS maintains integrity - as I approach destination manually input VOR2/ADF in the NAVRAD page - on vectors for the approach have tried......manually inputted ILS freq in NAV1 in the MCDU...activating LOC mode without manually inputting ILS freq in NAV1several times (most) cannot engage the LOC or APP modes leading to a mad scramble and handflown ILS -- getting rather good at it actually . Would appreciate any ideas.cheers from eastern Canada -- Ken Greenwood

Guest vrandar

As you have set up the arrival runway in the F-PLAN page (ensuring it is one with an ILS) you shouldn't then enter anything manually into the RAD NAV page unless for some reason the ILS freq at LSK1L on the RAD NAV page is showing up incorrectly. Don't be tempted to enter it manually "just in case" as that can cause the ILS capture not to work (curiously). But if you go for an autoland entering the ILS freq at FREQ/VOR2(LSK1R on the RAD NAV page) is good practice and you then activate A/P2. But in most cases you won't need to enter anything manually in the RAD NAV page.Make sure during your descent you press the ILS button on the glareshield. This shows the ILS frequency at the bottom left of the PFD and provides a rapid check that the ILS is tuned in correctly.This is a basic point but in the F-PLAN page when you select your runway make sure it is one with an ILS.Make sure you activate your approach below 7800 feet in the PERF page. A bit of good practice to save you time before you activate the approach is to have already entered the data earlier in the descent.To capture the LOC (and later APPR) make sure you are in managed heading and not selected, that is the heading shows .--- and you have not right-clicked (pulled) the heading knob and entered your heading manually.Those are the things that come to mind initially. Try flying the same short flight several times to a runway where you know there is ILS and you know the frequency. Do the above and see if it works. If it doesn't, let me know what the flight is and I will fly it here and see wif I can suggest any other tips.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest KGreenwood

thankyou for the prompt reply Robert - will indeed try the suggestions you offer - appreciate the assistance

Rob,Is this real one of the sources, why the A320 sometimes doesn't capture the ILS:>To capture the LOC (and later APPR) make sure you are in>managed heading and not selected, that is the heading shows>.--- and you have not right-clicked (pulled) the heading knob>and entered your heading manually.I ask this to you as an expert (many thanks for your countless valuable hints), because if you are flying online with ATC you typically will get vectors to the ILS. Therefore you are in selected mode when capturing the ILS. If this really is the case, how should I handle these vector instructions ?I had yesterday such a situation in LSZH and I was in selected mode, as the APP vectored me to the ILS 14. I had made no manual changes to the RAD/NAV frequencies but I got no ILS signal at all. After two GoArounds I had reprogrammed the FMC and it worked finally.Best regardsReinhard, AUA668

Guest jgcomp

Hi Rob, I have a question in the same tangent...almost! I experience difficulties landing at CYHZ Rwy 24 (Halifax Intl) which is an ILS CAT II with a localizer on 109.9 because, I believe, the localizer is located on the other end of the runway. My airbus flies the glideslope nicely but seeks to touch ground on the other side of the runway. To land correctly, I have to disengage autopilot entirely and fly everything manual. I presume there must be something I am not aware of and my question is: What am I doing wrong. A thousand thanks for your help.Jean-Guy

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.