Sign in to follow this  
aua668

What to do after Go Around

Hi,I have a question for the PSS A320 experts: What's the best method to continue from the following situation:You have programmed a flightplan and an alternate destination in the FMC. Everything works great until you are on final to the runway and suddenly you have to make a Go Around, because the runway is blocked etc.So to initiate the GA and to fly the GA is standard procedure and typically no problem as you are prepared to it. A good description of the first steps can be found at: http://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.html But then you are typically vectored by ATC to retry your approach again. In the FMC the original flightplan has gone and therefore there is no simple solution to reenter the destination with the same runway (or perhaps with another one now active) you had in your original flightplan.We all know the "feature", that for capturing the ILS you should have programmed the destination airport and the runway and let the FMC manage the ILS frequency automatically. Otherwise if you manipulate the frequency on your own in the RAD/NAV page, the ILS capture might not work.Of course you can reset the FMC and reprogram it for the approach with a new dummy flightplan. But is there a better method ? How do you handle this situation ? Is it also possible/necessary to reactivate the approach phase on the PERF page as you are in the GA phase after this situation ?Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.RegardsReinhard

Guest vrandar

Thanks for the mention of my original go-around document. Since that was written I have done a couple of unplanned go-arounds and one thing I have noticed is that if you delay activating the approach until very late you should be able to do a Direct To the missed approach VOR then re-enter the arrival details. You won't need to re-activate the approach because it was never activated. Of course this won't work if your gfo-around is called very very late. I haven't formally tested this so it could be I am mistaken, but it did seem to work for me. I'll have a proper look at it asap.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest BipBip

Hello,Normaly, you can enter your API procedure in the FMS before you actually make your GA (by adding points after your landing RWY. Then, when you do your GA, you still have waypoints in front of you and you can select one and use it to enter a new arrival (LSK on a point, then "LFPG" for example in the scratchpad then select NEW DESTINATION or something like that).That way it works in my case.

Guest vrandar

Yes that was certainly the method I had described in the document he referred to but it does take some planning, so I think a slightly quicker/easier method was what waas being requested.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guys,Many thanks - the first method really is only usable, if the GA doesn't come too late. Otherwise you have no waypoint in the flightplan. So I find it an excellent idea to have the missed approach fix (especially the one, where you might have to enter a holding) as a waypoint after the destination, if this is possible. That's no big overhead if you define the landing runway at the destination also to define this missed approach waypoint. And then you have an anchor for further actions.Thank you, I will give your ideas a trial. I think, this was the answer I was looking for.Best regardsReinhard

So,I have done this weekend several go arounds and figured out, that there is one thing you should always do. If you go around, first fly the procedure as documented in the chart. If you want to land again enter the airport again as "Alternate". Then you can modify the alternate flightplan by entering the desired fixes for landing and entering the landing runway in the normal way.That's important. If you just enter some waypoints after the original destination these waypoints get scrambled with the alternate flightplan. The first time this might work but at least at the second go around, if you enter no alternate airport the FMC crashes typically if you try to go to some waypoint direct. I had this twice - always when I didn't use the alternate flightplan.So now I know, what I have to do. Always use the alternate flightplan/airport after the go around and everything is fine.Thanks for your inputs, which brought me on the right way to figure this out. Can't now await, that a controller will tell me to go around ;-)Reinhard

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.