Sign in to follow this  

If you like a challenge...

For those of you who fly the big jets in FS and who like a challenge, try this for size. Take a flight into Mariscal Sucre Intl (SEQU)Ecuador. You can fly from Simon Bolivar Intl (SEGU) to the south west in around 1 hour if you need a destination to go from, but make sure your flight plan is for well above 18,000 ft unless you like hearing 'Terrain, Pull up! a lot! This is the airport where all the flowers that you see in your local florist are usually from and believe it or not they actually take 747s into that airstrip although with a hold full of roses and carnations you'll be well under MTOW. Apparently they restrict most flight to daytime arrivals in good weather, some airlines won't even go there and you'll know why if you give it a go LOL! I nearly bust the landing gear on a 737 doing an ILS approach into there!Happy landings!

Guest Vulcho

I got a 747 down. :)Alex.ERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Guest outtatimeiii

Ok, now if you want a even BIGGER challenge around that general area, go to SESM (forgot the name but the ID is SESM) afterwards LOL. This is like the most impossible airport in the game LOL. You have a 5000ft obstacle on one end, and like a 8000ft obstacle at the other end. This airport is a "oops" courtesy of Microsoft LOL. Someone located it inside the mountain instead of where it should be, so you see a HUGE hole in the ground where the airport is LOL. If you DO manage to land at this airport alive, have fun getting back out alive too LOL.

Chock,If memory serves (and it usually doesn't ;-)), the nav aids at SEQU are completely porked in FS2K2. I forget whether it is a critical VOR that is misplaced or the ILS has the wrong course but it is impossible to fly the proper instrument approaches. Incidentally, the missed-approach is even more fun than the approach itself! I have actually flown into Quito (as a passenger) and a have a kodachrome I took from the window of the plane with my telephoto lens of a local collecting kindling on one of the hillsides as we spiraled down to the runway. I kid you not, you can clearly see the expression on his face. If I can find a way to scan it in, I'll show it to you. I used a 300mm reflective lens and the plane was presumably moving around 160 kts or so, so you can imagine it's a bit blurry but it was a lucky shot. Anyways, exciting approach in real life!David

Landing is (relatively) easy, try taking off again without flattening yourself against the mountains :-lolI made it in the DF737 on the second try (should have studied the departure chart more carefully first time around) :-jumpy :-yellow1