Sign in to follow this  
Guest w1ngnut

PSS Airbus Pro

Guest w1ngnut

Hi,I had heard a lot of good thing about PSS and their Airbus series and having flown most of the freeware aircraft available I decided to give PSS a go.What a mistake...I have had Airbus Pro about a fornight and have yet to get off the ground.My problems...1. Elevators and Ailerons don't work - tried the size=2,2 thing - no dice.2. Battery keeps going flat - even though the APU is running.3. Can't get the engines to start...unless that is the first thing I do when I start up the sim.4. Taxi lights don't work... The list goes on......if what I have read in this forum is correct.I've read the other posts here about workarounds for the various problems and I have to ask.. Is this commercial quality software?If it were freeware, I would put up with things like start a default cessna flight... etc to be able to use the aircraft or have to spend hours reading through the forum for workrounds, but for something that I shelled out my hard earned cash for, I don't think so!And before anybody says "But is is only

Guest vrandar

I'm on my way out to a dinner so this initial response will be brief: you MUST start your FS session with a default MS aircraft with avionics on and engines off then switch to the Airbus (which can be cold and dark if you wish). Starting your FS session with the Airbus will lead to the problems you have described. This is an MS issue not created by PSS and is experienced on other add-ons as well. If you still get the battery issue after this, either ctrl+M (unregistered FSUIPC) or select the indefinite battery life in registered FSUIPC.Taxi lights don't work: it was developed for FS2002 and patched for FS9, in FS2002 taxi light coding was not possible I believe.Can't understand why the engines won't start, what procedure are you using?I will respond more fully tomorrow morning.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest w1ngnut

Why MUST I start my session with a default FS Aircraft?I don't have to with my Posky or iFDG Airbus Aircraft and they work fine, so why do I have to with your aircraft?Engine Start procedure as per the AOM.... Mode selector to start/ignition wait about 20-30 seconds.... Engine master on. Engine cranks to about 12/13% N2 and sits there, unless I start them immediately after the apu and even then it's hit and miss.I've even tried the manual start method.. nothing.My question still remains.. Why should I have to mess about tweaking settings here and there on something that should work straight out of the box?Obviously you are aware of the problems people have experienced, so why have you not fixed them, You've had four years?If this were a freeware product then fair enough, but for payware, it's just not good enough. I cannot understand just why people put up with shoddy sofware, when they will complain about other shoddy goods.I wonder what you will have to say in reply?Trevor

Guest NormanB

Trevor,Nothing shoddy about the goods here. You asked why you must start with the default flight - its because it is what we and other complex add on developers recommend.With FS9 there were many things taht simply do not initialise correctly unless the default flight is used. Nobody is asking you to tweak anything, simply follow the most basic of steps.Still not convinced? No probs - but please, look me up @ https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communiti...dows+-+PC+Games and ask why I would say otherwise.

Guest NormanB

Jusat noticed from your only other post on the forum that you are using FSX. Sorry but if this is all in FSX then all bets are off. The product was designed for FS2002 and freely upgraded to FS2004.

Guest w1ngnut

No, this is in 2004.As I said in my initial post, out of desperation thought I would give FSX a try, but it was worse than 2004 - gave up altogether.Trevor

Guest w1ngnut

Norman,My point is why do you expect your customers to make configuration changes, like the size=2,2 in the panel config, when you could quite easily make the changes to the files prior to shipping?Also, if you expect your customers to start from a default aircraft and then change to a PSS aircraft, why isn't it documented in the aircraft documentation?I have the iFDG A321 installed and use that a lot.It took me less half an hour to install it, add an Aer Lingus Livery and set it up to work with Eric Marciano's A320 panel.It works well enough, with a few very minor glitches, which I can live with because it's freeware.I have had the PSS Airbus Pro for well over a week and I still cannot use it!That's what I mean about it being shoddy. As a paying customer, I expect to be able to install the aircraft and go flying, not spend endless hours trying to get it to work!I develop websites and my customers expect their websites to work properly, not me saying "oh, you have to do this before you can do that!"I am very, very disappointed with PSS.Trevor

LISTEN TO ME GOOD PSS CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!PSS airbuses are excellent products and I'm not talking just for fun but I used to have the same attitude about the PSS airbuses just like you guys. When I first bought the PSS AB PRo and the A330/340 pro I was angry and I hated them and was totally dissastisfied with them. I went through all the same problems, mouse flicker, autopilot problems, elevator problems, and FMS problems. I had the planes for almost a whole year before I actually started flying them. You just need to fix the problems because it was designed for fs2002 not fs2004 the fixes are easy. PSS airbuses are far more realistic then those IFDG planes. IFDG is freeware and all you need to do is press a button and your airborn HA HA. PSS airbuses use realistic FMS which is so much like the real thing. i have msn IM so hit me up and I'll even walk you though it vipor75@hotmail.com. Trust me you havent wasted your money but you need to learn real a/c procedured to fly PSS. Last to say the least, these basic fixes right here should make the plane flyable right now, I hope your FSUIPC is registered with 3.71 C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9AircraftPSSAB-Propanel , window 08, size_mm change from 1,1 to 2.2PSS A319/320C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9AircraftPssA319[flaps.0] add line "lift_scalar = 1.42"PSS S321 add line "lift_scalar = 0.926"

Guest NormanB

Trevor,The change to 2,2 affects LESS customers than those who dont need it - ie to change it would cause MORE issues. Its the joys of computing so sorry that you are in the camp that needs the change.Developing websites is not evrn in the same ballpark. Sorry you feel its shoddy so we must beg to differ.

Guest vrandar

My this has become an exciting thread overnight. I will add a bit more if you don't mind.At PSS we have always recommended starting with the default aircraft saved as your default flight to get over some of the problems that not doing so can cause. I say can rather than will because it doesn't always cause problems and it doesn't cause them with all add-ons. It is apparently all to do with "state variables" which are only loaded under the default flight with a default aircraft. I get the idea but have to admit to not really knowing much about the technicalities. Earlier in the year it led to a very lively "urban myth" discussion here at avsim. Have a look at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...07362&mode=fullNow with our aircraft one of the problems that is known is that the MS flat battery glitch becomes evident. There are solutions to this as I mentioned in my earlier post.I suspect that will also be causing your engine start problems. But of course you also need to make sure you follow the sequence: batteries ON, fuel pumps ON, APU bleed ON, APU master ON, watch APU screen on lower ECAM until it shows FLAP OPEN in green, APU START(back on overhead), wait for APU to start, then on pedestal mode switch to IGN/START and startengine 1 (or 2 depending on your airline SOPS), once stablised then start other engine. But I'm sure you were doing all that anyway :)So try starting with a default aircraft and switching and see what happens. I use the default MS Boeing 737 and yet have never ever flown it. If you think that starting with a default aircraft is somehow unrealistic, well I'm not sure what I can say to that other than that using a mouse and keyboard for certain functions is also unrealistic vis-a-vis the real world aircraft. And I often have a glass of wine while flying which is dreadfully unrealistic! So give it a shot, you might just find it works.As to whether something is commercial quality software, that is a personal value judgement that you and only you can make. A huge number of pilots fly the PSS aircraft very successfully and have done for a long time (I have flown nothing else since September 2002 - I know, perhaps I should have done).If you have specific things that need sorting out with the aircraft like the cfg or air file for example you can always email and I'll respond as quickly as possible.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest w1ngnut

Norman,You are still missing the point.I only mentioned developing websites as an example of meeting customer expectations. I was not drawing any comparison between that and your product and you are right they are in different ballparks.My customers demand that their websites work correctly, because they rely on them to generate revenue.You have had four years to get this right and still there is no mention of any of it in the documentation. How long would it take to put together a troubleshooting document for this?Also, you have not fixed the core problems, but merely posted a series of workarounds. For commercial software, irrespective of price, it is simply not good enough.Unfortunately, the sofware industry use the "That's the joys of computing" mantra as an excuse for not doing the job properly in the first place and expect the world to accept it because "computers are complicated".And before you accuse me of not understanding what it's all about, I am a qualified programmer and I do understand what it's all about. That is why I'm so disappointed in your product.Trevor

Guest w1ngnut

Darian,Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try later, I'm off out for lunch shortly. I've already done most of this, just the lift scalar entry to change.I'm not going to debate the differences between PSS and iFDG because they are different classes of software (Payware vs Freeware).I'm sure PSS was very good when compared to the other aircraft available for FS 2002, but I still feel that they have let the the product slide and not kept it up to date.Anyway, thanks again for the help.Trevor

Guest NormanB

Trevor,The product was designed for FS2002 and *freely* updated to work to a comparable level. There were no extra bells or whistles added.Now, if you wish to ask further *support* questions I am here.

Guest ktaliana

Dear Trevor,I am a PSS client and have nothing to do with PSS support.I own the product for a year and am satisfied, as there is no other better Airbus panel up till now and haven't been for years.I hope that you have read the documentation that come with the panel as how to operate as the Airbus. The AIrbus is not an easy plane to operate and you have to be familiar 100%. Have you followed the Tutorial documentation and flight?You must surely be doing something wrong as my plane behaves correctly. There is also a patch for the flickering mouse which you must download from the site and install before you start flying.There was and will never be a software that is 100% fully correct from day 1..that is why there is support, fixes and patches...this is nowadays world.KennethMalta

Guest w1ngnut

Guys,This whole post started because I became frustrated with not being able to fly these aircraft.I installed the aircraft as per the documentation.I have installed all the patches, downloaded and printed out the manual.I have tried all the various fixes suggested and it still refuses to work.No elevators or ailerons. Can't start the engines, battery goes flat etc. etc.So where do I go from here?Give up and admit defeat, or battle on trying to get this to work!To be perfectly honest, I spend more than enough time when working searching config and log files for clues as to what is wrong.This is supposed to be a bit of relaxation, not an extension to my working day.Over to you!Trevor

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.